Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Question About Information Store Failing at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

retto

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
US
I have an issues that I'm baffled about and maybe someone can help. I have been with my company for 6 months and have no idea as to the history of the network other than what is supplied by the IT manager who has only been here for a little longer (IT consists of two poeple.) Anyways, when I boot up the main Exchange server, everything is fine, until login. After I login, I get a light blue screen with the pointer but no icons, taskbar... After about 10 minutes, the desktop finally comes up, with a gray box telling me that a service failed at startup. When I look at the Services, anything having to do with Exchange has failed at startup. The information store won't start unless I make an attempt to start the MTA stacks, which fails. Finally, the store will start, after I try MTA stacks, which may or may not be related, and email works fine until I reboot, then I must go through this again.
I've called Microsoft Tech Support and they want me to run DomainPrep. I'm afraid that domainprep could break something, too. My request for a test environment was declined today.

Any suggestions? Sorry to be so wordy.

Here is what I see in my Event log relaing to the startup.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeIS
Event Category: General
Event ID: 9564
Date: 3/16/2004
Time: 5:14:41 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER1
Description:
Error 0x80004005 starting the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
Failed to init VSERVER.

Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event ID: 9154
Time: 5:14:35 PM
Description:
DSACCESS returned an error '0x80004005' on DS notification. Microsoft Exchange System Attendant will re-set DS notification later.

Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event ID: 9152
Time: 5:14:31 PM
Description:
Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported an error '0x8007000e' in its DS Monitoring thread.

Event Source: MSExchangeFBPublish
Event ID: 8197
Time: 5:13:30 PM
Description:
Error initializing session for virtual machine COMPUTER1. The error number is 0x8004011d. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running.

Event Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
Event Category: Topology
Event ID: 2102
Time: 5:11:31 PM
Description:
Process MAD.EXE (PID=2856). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:
Thunderbolt.pylonhq.com
COMPUTER1.DOMAINNAME.com

It's having issues finding a global catalog server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back