Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A question about frames and iframes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everyone, to save space, loding time etc... I came up with a easy way to access my downloads on my website. Using an embeded frame in a webpage with scrolling="no" and border="0". This page is called default.html. There would also be another page called listing.html, which would contain the links to my downloads. Now, on my main page, there is a bottom and a top frame. On the top frame, are the "links" to my downloads. When you click on one of the links, I want it to open up the page containing the iframe, and to open up listing.html#23 in the iframe. BUT HOW DO I MAKE THE LINK OPEN UP DEFAULT.HTML AND OPEN UP LISTING.HTML#23 IN THE IFRAME??? Please please help me!!!  <br><br><br><br>imotic (Programmer) Jul 29, 2000 <br>Can you give me the link to your page so I know what you mean? Thanks.. <br>Liam Morley<br><br> <br>RAMdriveSys (Vendor) Jul 29, 2000 <br>Its not up on the web yet, and I am currently having troubles with my server. I will explain it a little simpler.<br><br>--------------------l <- that is the top frame where the <br>--------------------l    "links" are. (top2.html)<br>                 <------- the page that holds the iframe <br>        l---l       l     (default.html)<br>        l   l <----------- that is the iframe (i want it to <br>        l---l       l     display listing.html)<br>                    l<br>--------------------l<br>--------------------l<br><br>When you click on a certain link in the top frame, i want it to load default.html which contains the inline frame, or iframe. When default.html loads, i want it to load listing.html#23. since i have name tags on listing.html and the one i want to open it to is #23. PLEASE HELP <br> <br><br>

I believe what you want to do is to send a value from your menu bar (top2.html) to the default.html.<br><br>The link in top2.html would read something like:<br><br>&lt;A href=&quot;default.html?listing.html#23&quot;&gt;<br><br>and have default.html parse the address line using location.search.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can try this example:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> not sure if the &quot;#23&quot; will work in Netscape.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've found that in order for internal anchors to work in NN4 scrolling for a window must be turned on.&nbsp;&nbsp;This may apply to frames as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back