Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A question about architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk1000

Programmer
Jun 29, 2005
US
I recently started a project that will include my first experience with CORBA.

In familiarizing myself with the standard, I reached a small stumbling block regarding CORBA's general architecture.

Can two applications of differing development languages interoperate of the same orb? For example, can a C++ application communicate with a Java app on the same orb using only IDL interfaces?

Or, on the other hand, do you have to have a C++ orb for all C++ apps and a Java orb for all Java apps? Then allowing these remote apps to communicate between orbs using IIOP?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Matt

Hi mk1000!

Yes, two applications written in different languages can use the same ORB. For example you might want to write a C programm as server application (->has to be fast) and a Java program for the client (->platform independent). CORBA is a good way of implementing this.

leela

Leela,

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Mk1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back