Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A query that works under 7.1 does'nt work under 7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyHigh

Technical User
May 30, 2002
CA
Hi

The following query works very well in 7.1 but does not work under 7.2

SELECT order_id FROM order
WHERE order_date + INTERVAL
(term ||'year') < current_timestamp;

Please let me know if there are any changes to INTERVAL in 7.2

Thanks for your help.
Brenda

INTERVAL is really not a function. It is a datatype and an operator. In earlier version of PostgreSQL, you were allowed to 'sort of' use it as a function, but that no longer exists. Instead, try to either:

1. cast your value to an interval datatype:

Code:
   WHERE order_date + ((term ||'year')::interval) 
      < current_timestamp;
(see
2. Or, you can use the &quot;interval&quot; keyword as an operator to a timestamp representation, if you remove any ambiguity about the parentheses. (Meaning: if you need parentheses for your expression, then put &quot;interval&quot; in quotes:

Code:
   WHERE order_date + (&quot;interval&quot; (term ||'year')) 
      < current_timestamp;
(see and
I can't vouch for whether your query is correctly formed, though, since I don't know the table structure. But, I suggest you use more parentheses to remove ambiguity from your queries:

Code:
   WHERE (order_date + (&quot;interval&quot; (term ||'year'))) 
      < current_timestamp;

By the way, the reason for the changed behavior about parentheses affects all date/time-related expressions: they all have an optional argument (p), which can be any number from 0 to 13 specifying the precision you want from that value. ( So, your above query could be written:

Code:
   WHERE (order_date + (interval (9) (term ||'year'))) 
      < current_timestamp;

Thus, another thing to watch for now is that all timestamp, timestamptz, and interval expressions will default to full precision, which could mean you will see values like
Code:
2001-06-21 08:43:36.391869+02
instead of
Code:
2001-06-21 08:43:36+02
. -------------------------------------------

Big Brother: &quot;War is Peace&quot; -- Big Business: &quot;Trust is Suspicion&quot;
(

With apologies, I have to note that so far I have been unable to get PostgreSQL to recognize the precision argument with 'interval (p)'. I don't know if it is a bug, or I am just missing something, but I will research it more. -------------------------------------------

Big Brother: &quot;War is Peace&quot; -- Big Business: &quot;Trust is Suspicion&quot;
(

OK, so far here is the best I can do with the precision modifier on intervals:

Notice the difference in responses between

Code:
sweb=# SELECT interval(6) '647 days 15:16:58.7991779968';                                                                         
           interval           
------------------------------
 647 days 15:16:58.7991779968
(1 row)

and

Code:
postgres=# SELECT interval(0) '647 days 15:16:58.7991779968';                                                                         
     interval      
-------------------
 647 days 15:16:59
(1 row)

Still trying to examine for syntax that can handle more complex expressions, but the documentation is not very helpful on this point. -------------------------------------------

(

Hi rycamor

This is great, thanks very much for your help
Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back