Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A query regarding Group Suppression

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterb58

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2005
A query regarding Group Suppression.
Using CRXI R2 on a Sybase 11 database all under Win7.

The report is designed to show specific numbers of calls for a Low Battery event. The customer wanted to control the minimum number of events in order to see where problems may lie a parameter called CallEvents.

So we have:-
Group 1 - Equipment Type
Group 2 - Dwelling ID
Group 3 - Call Meaning
Details ......

I have a suppression formula on GP3 and GP2 which suppresses anything less than the variable - Count ({RV_LOWBATTERY.NotificationTime}, {RV_LOWBATTERY.Meaning})<={?CallEVents}
This works OK until I have several GP 3 entries, one of which meets the suppression criteria. This will also then suppress GP2 as it is the same criteria.

What I need to be able to do is suppress any GP3 entry which is < CallEvents but only suppress GP 2 if ALL GP 3 entries are below the threshold.

thanks

Suppressing a group based on a count of a subgroup works well if only one subgroup is found.

The upper group suppression is based on the result of the first subgroup.

You could try a TopN descending sort on Grp3, this will ensure grp3 with with most events is first to appear. Set your top N to be big enough to cater for max number of Grp3s which could appear withij any Grp2

Ian

Ian

Not sure how a TopN group would help me.

The data in GP 3 can be 1 or more call indicators of Low Battery Conditions, there are at least 25 possible conditions for a unit.
During any period, it is unlikely for more than 3 or 4, but they can be single calls or repeated calls.

So the structure in the default reports could look like

GP1 - Alarm Unit
GP2 - ID 123456
GP3 - Low Battery Internal ...... 3
GP3 - Low Battery Trigger.........6

Assume my variable CallEvents is 5.
I would want to suppress Low Battery Internal as it is less than 5 and keep Low Battery Trigger.
However, the suppression formula will also act on GP2 and hide that, which is what my problem is.
I do want to hide GP2 if all the GP3 entries are less than CallEvents, but need to keep it if 1 entry out of several is more than CallEvents as in the example.

thanks

At present your group suppression on GP2 is looking at first result of Grp3

GP1 - Alarm Unit
GP2 - ID 123456
GP3 - Low Battery Internal ...... 3

Hence Gp2 is suppressed, if you pushed Low battery Trigger to top then GP2 will not suppress. Using a TopN sort on Gp3 will achieve this.Make sure your N for TopN is at least 25 to ensure

Use the same suppression condition on Gp3 and all you will see is

GP1 - Alarm Unit
GP2 - ID 123456

Ian

Ian

Thanks.

I was surprised the order would make any difference.
I was expecting the suppression formula in GP2 to be evaluated for every instance of GP3 and it would be suppressed if it found 1 match, so order was not relevant.

Surprised about the way CR works sometimes!!

Pete

During the BBC Horizon program on Creativity, last night, I had the flash of understanding. No idea why it popped out then, wasn't thinking about it all, it's work, why I would I think about it so late at night!!

It is being evaluated for each instance, but as they are in TopN order, the last entry is what is critical.
If that is greater than my require value, GP2 is not suppressed.
Without the TopN order, it would be 50/50 if it was suppressed or not, depending on the order in which they were evaluated.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back