Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A picture that no HP printer can print accurately! Read all about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Well, actually, I don't know if my subject line is true since I do not have the luxury of trying every HP printer in existence, but I do know that the HP PhotoSmart line and all ColorSmart II and III printers will not render the picture I will soon present to you accurately. This includes some very high-end printers such as the HP LaserJet 8500!

The problem seems to be that HP printers cannot recreate a large segment of the sRGB purple color space without erroneously selecting a portion of the printer's color gamut that is too purple; that is, the printer HAS the colors we need but does not select them appropriately in response to the computer's demands. In laymen's terms, the color purple looks reddish when compared to the same picture on the monitor.

I have brought this complaint up to HP customer support, but as some of you may know, customer support is actually contracted by HP and has little power to help in a matter such as this. I am in the process of trying to be heard in the higher places of HP, but I am but one person. This is why I come to you.

Without any further ado, let me present to you a typical picture that will not print as shown on your monitor. Here are some links that will take you to points of interest:

Here's a link comparing the scanned output of a HP 952C, a printer representing HP's premier ColorSmart III and PhotoREt III technologies, to the original image of a purple flower. This shows the problem very well with a side-by-side comparison:

Here's the full-sized version of the above flower for your own printing experiments (this picture is courtesy of
And lastly I have zipped up the above two and some other problem pictures:

If you'd like to see this purple problem fixed, we need to let HP know that there really is a problem. Sound easy? It's not. HP is a HUGE company that, despite the advertisements claiming otherwise, has a big company mentality. That means you have to yell to be heard.

HP's printers are darn near perfect, so naturally, it's hard to convince anyone within HP that there is a problem. Together we can. Please reply to this e-mail and, collectively, we can make HP fix this. Their entire printer line could be made better through driver fixes with your help.

Hope to hear from some of you soon!

i can't not get to the image but you are right about there tech support to get any where call cusomter service they work for hp itself and can get a lot more done So long and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back