Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A or CNAME? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skendrick

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
Should I make the for my domain with an A record or a CNAME? I done a seach on google.com for an answer and I found one place that said I could use either one but the CNAME would require extra DNS lookup and would use more bandwidth. So which one is more efficient?

Thanks in advance,
Sterling

An 'A' or 'Address' record ties a domain name to an IP address. If there is a server on the Internet that is configured to handle traffic for this domain, you can enter the name of the domain domainname.net and the IP address of the server (for example '64.85.73.21') and your domain will point to that IP address.

Examples:
domainname.net A 64.85.73.21
A 64.85.73.21

A 'CNAME' or 'Common Name' creates an alias from a domain name to another. For example, you can create a CNAME from 'subdomain.8domainname.net' to ' and every reference to 'subdomain.domainname.net' will go to ' regardless of how changes their IP addresses.
Please note that if you define a CNAME for one of your subdomains, there should be no A or MX record defined for that subdomain.

Examples:
8wire.net CNAME subdomain.domainname.net CNAME subdomain.domainname.net CNAME
You should just use an A record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back