Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A non-database programmer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

avgindyguy

Programmer
Jan 31, 2003
Our director has given us a directive to get a better handle on things in our area, which is telecommunications. We have multiple spreadsheets that we maintain for such items as cell phones, equipment inventory, circuit info and such. I decided to surf a little and see if there was an easy to use database software that we could maintain ourselves that would perform these operations. Alpha-Five looked good and it was pretty easy to use. Problem is we are now being told that we need to have something SQL, as we have staff that understand it. The catch is we still have to maintain it and they would only do such things as backups for us. We have a total of 5 users that would need concurrent access to the database. Also, we need to be able to add fields, queries, forms, and such anytime without having to send requests to the SQL associates here. I just need a good starting point, is there a simple to use software package that uses SQL. What I have found is that there are plenty of software packages out there but most of them are still using Microsoft Access, which we do not support. Any help would be appreciated.

One issue with most 'true' databases is that they are backends only, in other words they only store data. SQL Server doesn't have FORMS. You must use some other application (MS Access, Visual Basic, etc) to create and use forms to access the SQL Server data. I believe you will find this with most databases. MS Access is really a frontend application that also has a database.

-SQLBill

AS someone who has some knowledge of the data stored in a telecommunications database, I suggest that you buy a commercial off the shelf package, maybe one with a SQL Server backend.

The data structure and programming behind the forms for telecommunications are very complex and you could not possibly program a good, bug free program for less than the cost of the COTS products. Plus it would probably take a team of several programmers a year or more to develop.

Hi,

We built a help desk app here in access which works with a SQL server backend. Works pretty well. If someone has a purely access product, you may consider migrating the tables to SQL server and using the app as the interface. With a very complex database, I don't see anyone using access though...it has a tendency to crap out!

sam

Sam Greene
Workflow,DRM,DB
MUSIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back