Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a new Win 98 startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2data

Instructor
Jan 21, 2002
CA
well it's new to me anyways:
will only boot into safe mode, hangs otherwise
last line of bootlog.txt

XXXX9054 starting unknown
htree\reserved\0

found this on 2 systems in last 2 days, registry passes ok, everything in startup turned off, and on one the only error Dr. Watson found was with nonPNP video (come on it's an old s3 Trio!). Windows reinstall does not help...

any suggestions?

customer will not upgrade to Me or 2000 because they 'heard they were no good'

thx

IRQ PROBLEM ?

Take out the sound card. Try it.

Take out a network card. Try it.

Take out the MODEM. Try it.

*** IF THE OLD SERIAL PORTS are NOT being used, go into the BIOS and DISABLE THEM,,,,,, that will FREE UP TWO IRQ's.....

If it is ONBOARD SOUND,,, DISABLE IT in BIOS. (Free up an IRQ).

MOVE the video card to ANOTHER PCI SLOT..... try it.

*** POST MORE INFO ON HARDWARE.........

Hey,

I have the exact same problem with my PC/win98 sec. ed. I've tried all of the above.

Woke up one morning and my computer was off.
Determined it was the motherboard. Replaced motherboard.
Will only boot up in Safe mode now.
Hangs during normal mode.
Tried all of the above.
Virus scanner picks up nothing.

Any thoughts,
Drew Brawn

"My mind is my Shrine,
and my body the Temple around it."

if you are familiar with the registry and have all your drivers available type regedit in the run menu, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE find Device and delete the enum key. That will force your pc to find all hardware again and you just might find the problem as for brawn that will get you back running as well since windows still thinks you have the other motherboard as well as its chipset.

If all else fails, give this a try:
Once booted into safemode,use the "msconfig" command (Start>run>msconfig). Choose "selective startup" under the general tab & uncheck both "autoexec.bat" and "config.sys". You can also go to the tab at the far right, "startup" and go through them one by one, unchecking all but the vital items. The vital ones are "scanregistry" and "loadpowerprofile"(this appears twice) all else can be unchecked.
Sometimes a bad driver can lurk in one of those places and cause all sorts of problems. You can tell if this is the case by going to properties under "my computer" and checking the far-right tab, "performance." Sometimes the problem can be seen there (especially if something is forcing Win98 to run in "ms-dos compatability mode" or 16-bit vs. the normal 32-bit file system/compatability mode. The % of free resources can also indicate what sort of problem you're having.

I apologize if you've tried these already - these are easier than pulling your cards out sometimes. Good luck guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back