Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A network connection window comes up every time I turn on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmmj

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
US
It is from login.oscar.aol.com. It tells me that me or a program requested information from this website which connection do I want to use? I can't get rid of this window so I came to this site and joined the forum to get help!!!!!

The best advice I can give you is to dump AOL. I REALLY REALLY hate them.Unless your into crappy overpriced connections and tons of junk mail and telemarketers!!

That aside it's your AOL instant messenger trying to log on.This can be hard to kill without also killing you internet access.I dont know what options you have but I read to try this number in the "host" box, whatever that is.

I hope this helped
Jimi_l(AKA Malepipe)

I agree, get shot of AOL :-(

in some circumstances, it's ok [net newbies] but most users get shot ;-)

if you need an IM, try Microsoft Messenger, it's pretty good...

Jon. ----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

The way it sounds is that your PC doesn't know which network connection to use (example, if you have a modem pre-installed and a network connection).

Look around AIM (and it's not as bad as what people say - although AIM isn't my first choice, most my friends use it)...anyway, look around in AIM to see if there's somewhere you can change the default connection to either your modem or your network connection (whichever you normally use). I assume that you probably have a modem installed, and use a network connection also.

I'm thinking that will alleviate your network connection box. Also, it's entirely up to you, but I ALWAYS set Messenger programs to NOT log on when I start Windows.

Good luck

OK everyone, this is really, really EASY. Open AIM. Go to the preferences. Choose the "Sign On/Off" option. At the top you have 3 options you can check. 1: save password 2: Automatically sign on when AIM starts and 3: Start AIM when Windows Starts. If options 2 and 3 are checked then AIM will start when windows starts and establish an internet connection. Disable whatever you want and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back