Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'a network cable is unplugged'

Status
Not open for further replies.

meishka

Technical User
May 18, 2003
GB
Hi Don't know if anyone can help, I have two computers networked, have been working fine until yesterday when the client can't get on to the internet with a message coming up every second or so on both machines saying 'a network cable is unplugged'

I didn't set this up myself so am not to sure what I am doing so probably can't give the info needed but everything seems to be working ok, I can get on the net with mine. They are connected via VSOCKS,ethernet cable, 56k modem, both running windows xp prof,I don't appear to have any conflicts

does anyone think it may be the cable? it has happened once before with the cable being a bit 'dodgy', I fiddled with it and it was ok!

dear meishka

i was always told - hardware first. So yes change the cable and see if that works. If not check and make sure the NIC is seated properly on the motherboard.

And if ok, check the NIC drivers and configuration (some may have a power save function that turns the network card off if not used after a while).

good luck

Say ello to ma liddle fren!

i have checked cable and recrimped ends, error message has gone off, I can ping the other computer but it still won't surf!!

Hi meishka

have you logged onto the faulty pc and tried surfing under your profile? If you can then its a permissions issue.

Otherwise, what network are you running? Sounds like a peer-to-peer? Are you sharing internet conenction via the working pc? Do you have a proxy or firewall in place?

Say ello to ma liddle fren!

have sorted it now, apparently it had somehow lost the ip address so I manually configured it, don't know how it happened in the first place but I did find a virus on there! thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back