Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A+ Necessary for Networking Field 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamTFK

Technical User
Apr 30, 2006
Hello I'm new here and I been reading around the forums and this seems like a great place to get some good advice.

Anyway... I plan on focusing on networking and maybe do system administration. I am currently about to receive my AS degree in Computer Engineering at the local community college and plan on following up with an internship.

I have taken the A+ classes but never got the cert, is it a good idea for me to get it even though I dont really want to build and fix pc's. I also realize I might have to start with building/repairing and work my way up from there. What do you guys think?

DreamTFK,

I will tell you what Cisco told its Cisco Network Academy instructors at Cisco Networkers in New Orleans 2 years ago.

Most companies (because of cutbacks :-()are not hiring PC techs anymore - they are hiring Network Techs and expecting them to do what the PC tech was doing - they (Cisco) suggested that our students who were looking to get entry level jobs with little experience except what they got in the Cisco Academy should be A+ and CCNA.

Entry level Network techs would be expected to troubleshoot workstations, monitor the network, rack equipment and all the other sh_t jobs that the noobs get :)

Having your A+ will help you when you are looking to get in the door - it basicly tells the employer you know your way around the inside of the computer enough to change a nic or replace a harddrive.

You want a well rounded resume with education, certifications and experience - if you are short on experience try to build the other areas and get as much hands-on experience in the labs you can get - so you can at least hold your own in the interview when the question of experience comes up.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

excellent advice.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CSS,CFOS/T,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Ok that makes sense. I will follow up with my Network+ cert.

Here's another question I'm sure that is quite common. Can I find sufficient review material online to study for the A+ without spending $75 on a review from Testking or some other similar review site?

also spend an afternoon in your local borders/barnes and noble. look through the books that they have and try the practice questions that litter the books. it will help you identify strengths and weaknesses while giving you some similar questions to what you see on the test. and it is completely free to do so....

"Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
-Vonnegut

DreamTFK,

Network + is fine but .................

If you really have your sites on networking - get your CCNA !!! Cisco controls about 80% of the network hardware out there and the rest tends to do it a lot like Cisco.

As for study stuff for A+ tfg13 (and glister) have some great links and as spizotfl said - take advantage of the Borders and Barnes and Noble "libraries" - grab a book and get a cup of coffee and spend hours in the cafe going over $100's of dollars worth of books - I have even bought one once in a while and if you are drawn to buying one - join Borders club - they have 25% off coupons all the time for members.

As for TestKings and Braindumps - I do not like paper certs - that said if you really know your stuff AND are JUST using them as a final study guide ......... just be aware that they can be FULL of WRONG answers!

With a little searching and Google you should be able to find a ton of other free stuff on the Internet including other forums, braindumps(these can be so bad because the answers can be SOOOO wrong) practice tests etc.

And do not forget Ebay - people are always selling old study stuff for great prices - just make sure it is for the test you are taking and not TOO old!!

Good luck!

E.A. Broda

DreamTFK,

I agree with everyone here. CiscoGuy33 is right about Testking. If you already have it then use it as a supplement to what you see what your weaknesses are. I just took my CCNA Intro (passed) by reading various books and I used the TestKing to see how I was doing. While reviewing it I did notice some of the questions had me 2nd guessing the answers. For my A+ and N+ I did go to Barnes/Nobel and spent a few hours reading the exam cram and passed w/o problems.

As far as N+. I got mine 2 years ago and put it on my resume and have not gotten any responses since. Not to brag but my resume is good, it lists the certs and all my qualifications. What I am trying to say is if you plan on getting a CCNA (and you have experience) skip the N+ and go for the CCNA. In studying for the CCNA I found that the same material in the CCNA also applies to N+ but in more detail and you get to learn how to config routers and switches. I now think of N+ is for a person that has no experience and wants to know about general networking. (I maybe wrong but about that but that's my 2 cents.)

Also CiscoGuy33 is right about pc tech and network tech. Where I work they are changing the job title from PC/Network Tech to Network Tech and in the description listing all of the qualifications that A+ has.

Good luck

Comptek
A+, Network+

Yeh I see what you guys are saying about the CCNA and it makes sense. Only problem is that my AS Degree is with Microsoft specilization so I did not take any Cisco courses, it would seem odd to skip my MCSA or MSCE cert.

DreamTFK,

No one says you must skip your MCSA or MCSE - I just feel you will get MORE out of MCSE if you understand networking as a CCNA does.

I had an MCSE who taught with me that made $125 an hour consulting and he always said that he wishes he understood networking like his Cisco friends and he always told his students who were doing as you did - a MCSE college track that they needed to take the CCNA classes whether they counted or not - because they will count in REAL LIFE !!!

The idea is that you need to understand networking and Net + just does not go far enough!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back