Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A lot of Recipient Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenMuster

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi,

I have Groupwise 6.5.1 running on 2000 server with all the patches installed.

On my internet agent I'm receiving a lot od Recipient Unknown with my domain name. My tcp/ip errors are high too.
i think it is spam. The problem a heve is that it doesn't show me who is the sender.

this is what I see on the agent:

Recipient Unknown ascdd@mydomain.com
Recipient Unknown 353wfw@mydomain.com
Recipient Unknown fvsdfgrg@mydomain.com
Etc...

How can I check who is sending it , so I can block it.

Thanks,

Alex.

Sounds like you're being hit by a "dictionary search" spammer (illegal in the US). Basically, the spammers just start throwing out random email addresses at your domain searching for live mailboxes. They get a MAILER-DAEMON response for each non-existant mailbox. When they hit a live box, they'll know it because they won't get a response.

Unfortunately, knowing the sender's email address is probably useless because if they are smart enough to know how to run a dictionary search, then they're probably smart enough to spoof the sender's address too. This means that it's probably a different "sender" for each email. Besides, the GWIA should be handling this without a problem.

If you still want to see the message and MIME information, you can change the behavior of undeliverables from within ConsoleOne. Open the properties of the GWIA object. Under the SMTP/MIME tab there's a page titled "Undeliverables". Use the help button to learn more about the options on this page.

Hope that helps,
Ron

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?”
~ Mevlana Rumi

Do you live in Michigan? Join us in the Tek-Tips in Michigan forum.

Ron you are 100% right. Thank you for your reply to my question. My solution to this problem is GWGuardian software that should take care of it.

Thank you,

Alex.

No problem. Glad to help.

Ron

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?”
~ Mevlana Rumi

Do you live in Michigan? Join us in the Tek-Tips in Michigan forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back