Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A lot of CRC errors, cables to long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noizz

Technical User
Jan 25, 2004
BE
hi

i installed a new ADSL router+modem, but i have a lot of CRC errors, i've been troubleshooting myself and it's not an "internal" problem (cables in my house). I made a picture here:
my question is: on my router i get a status view and there are a lot of CRC errors. Is this due to the length of my phone cable (30 meter, might be 50 meters, not really sure). I notice a lot of crc errors when downloading on high speed (like fast game-servers who offer demo's).

if this is the problem: what can I do about it (ps: connecting the router on the streetside is no solution.

thx in advance
Noizz

ps: sorry for crappy english

For starters you should try connecting the router streetside with a much shorter length of cable if possible to rule out any possibility that your telco isn't the problem. Since you have a wireless connection available you should be able to test at streetside. If even at streetside you see the CRC's then it's time to contact your telco provider to inform them of the problem. But if everything works perfectly at streetside then you can deduce that your 30 meter cable is the problem. If that's the case then perhaps you may be picking up some interference or your long cable itself has a problem with it. You can try a different cable of equal length and test with it. If that has similar issues then perhaps your cable length is simply too long for reliable use. Perhaps you can ask your telco to maybe boost your signal level or reduce the attenuation to compensate for the line loss. Either way you may need to have your provider involved.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back