Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A little template help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish2000

Programmer
Apr 30, 2005
US
Using MSproject 2000
When doing a "Save As" of a template "Filemname.mpp". Under File | Properties | Summary, the title takes on this new file name as the title. This is what I desire. But now I have created a template that will not behave in this way. Help! I don't understand how this function works, nor how to fix my latest template.

I think your issue is the filename (and, possibly, the location).

The template file must have an extension of .mpt (not .mpp). Don't simply rename it (though that might work -- I didn't try it).

So ...

1. Open the template (.mpT) file that isn't working for you.

2. Click on File | Properties | Summary-tab

3. Clear out the title field.

4. File | Save As ..., change the filetype to mpT (template) and save it in the default template folder.

5. File | New and open the template (.mpT) file that you just fixed and saved.

6. Create some tasks, add some resources, etc.

7. File | Save As ..., leave the filetype as .mpp, give it a name ("ABC") and click on the Save button.

8. Exit Project

9. Start Project

10. Open the file you saved in step 7. The Title should be the file name (it was in the test I just did).

I tried what you said but the problem remained.
Then I had a brainstorm. I renamed the problem template file (abc.mpt). I opened abc.mpt. I then started a new file. I set up the new template identical to abc.mpt, then copy & pasted the tasks from abc.mpt into the new file. I saved this new file xyz.mpt. When I used it, it correctly retained the desired "save as" filename in the title.

Thanks PDQBach, I think you kick started my grey matter just enough!

Glad you got it working. Shouoldn't have been so much effort, though, should it?

What version of Project are you using? (If 98, do ou have SR-1 applied?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back