Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a little stressed and confused????? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmdExtreme

IS-IT--Management
Sep 29, 2005
US
Hello all, well here it is, i have my own business, repairing, networking, building, etc...computers, I have this one account with a company size of 20 employee,s to date,,they have two seperate offices, the one office i already have networked together, ran win xp pro on all the pc,s, set security policies, passwords etc. that is going okay, i actually had one of the owners saying that the other office was complaing about me and questioning my knowledge of computers, etc. the owner wasnt to worried about it, well i told her more than once that i cannot have them always changing their id,s and passwords, i suggested they network that office as well, a few times, then they call me to go troubleshoot a computer and finding out they change the passwords again,and they give me this look when i suggest setting up accounts user id,s and passwords??? now i know i can get in without their passwords, but i shouldnt have to, then i have this one lady there who thinks a memory is the amount of hard drive space there is, hmmmm.... and she tries to tell me how to work on the pc,s over at the other office, lol, now granted i am being very patient, but as i have said to the owner before, the office needs to be networked, upgraded, and security policies set in place, and i dont really want to have them question my abilities, its ridiculous, if anyone has some real world experience or suggestions, i would really appreciate it, being i am not sure how to handle this whole thing,,,thanks all, looking forward to future discussions.......

4U-TECH. Technologies
http:Comp. Tia A+
Hardware
OS
Networking
Linux, In Progress
OEM System Builder

be less patient, less polite and outline the weakness's in their current system. Throw in lots of tehnical jargon then they might be a bit more respectful.

No offense, but based on your post and your website, you don't present yourself as being a very professional person.

yes, bygeek, can you please clarify your opinion as to what is professional and what is not, thank you,,

4U-TECH. Technologies
Hardware
OS
Networking
Linux, In Progress
OEM System Builder

I used to tell customers that I charge a nickel a word, shut a lot of them up. You could always find an "I.D Ten T Error". If that doesn't make sense, substitute the number ten for the word, and push the letters together.

This little snipped passage (from another web page) sums up what I wanted to say beautifully, I feel for you but you mustn't let things get you down, no ones knows better than yourself your professional capabilities and past achievements.

"A systems administrator will also need to be something of a diplomat, particularly in a smaller company. In smaller businesses, he will usually be working one-on-one with those using the computers and may find himself in the position of tutor or trainer, as well as repairman. In this case, he may be dealing with employees who have little computer experience and understanding, and will have to teach them how to use their equipment without offending them. Chances are, he will be the one employees yell for when their machines are buggy, so patience is another important virtue for a systems administrator."

Substitute "systems administrator" for your current job title, and good luck with your business venture.

thanks micker377 & linney,....
micker377 i do like the nickel thing, lol, and linney, thanks for the advice, i will use it, the thing is though it is tough when your trying to guide someone through, say for example microsoft word, or how to save there documents, etc, i am not sure if i should do this or actually be setting up some kind of course through microsoft or another training class, like i said i am new to my own business, and really want to learn as to where i draw the line on charging someone or not based on repair, training, phone support, etc...thanks for the support.....

4U-TECH. Technologies
Hardware
OS
Networking
Linux, In Progress
OEM System Builder

You have my heart felt sympathies.

My 3 year old one-man company crashed and burned last Dec (2004) mainly because I got to the point where I could no longer handle clients that couldn't tell the difference between the tower and the monitor.

These same clients will throw you to the dogs if someone is listening - elevating themselves by making you look as inferior as possible whenever possible.

I don't agree with "A little less patience" but beyond that I just don't know what to say that would make handling these types of clients any easier.

Just deal with it best as you can and smile all the way to the bank - that's why they pay you to do it, and don't do it themselves.

I'm in the process of starting over with a new company and hopefully - I learned something.

Good luck!! (to us both).

robbie

Robert W. Dukes
A Professional PC Services (now gone)
"Relax, I'm a Professional"

With all the usual certifications upon request

forum717
forum654

I suspect though that at some point clients tire of a consultant. There is a lifecycle to this relationship. You start with the benefit of being "God", and end after a time having feet of clay.

This is part and parcel of the client-consultant relationship. (And unfortunately many marriages).

You need to steel yourself for this event. It is nearly inevitable, and not a personal offense. You are after all an intrustion in a working office, no matter how friendly you may be. You will second guessed as to your recommendations; you will be underbid.

Good discustions of this and other issues for consultants in the forums I linked above.

Feet of clay,
Bill

After 32 years as a one man dog and pony show I have had my share of all varieties of customers. In one company you are seeing the best and the worst.

I've lost customers after a week because somebody didn't think I knew what I was doing and I kept two for 30 years because somebody thought I knew what I was doing. Both types were right, and both were wrong.

There is no way everybody can understand everything about how things are built and set up. The building is more uniform, but the setup depends on how people think and no two think the same. For that reason you would think my ideas of how a network should work were totally alien.

You treat your problem customers with respect, you listen to what they say, you attempt to understand what they mean, and you gently try to explain the various ways things can be accomplished. But if they insist that you do it their way you bust a gut attempting to do it. You bill for it, that is your due. You also explain to the man paying the bills that it costs extra to do things in non-standard ways and you give him examples of what you consider non-standard. He is the one that will eventually resolve your problem.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Ed Fair,

Best wishes to you and yours. And a star.

I do believe this is the wrong fora for this discussion.

Your post was just great stuff.

Bill

AmdExtreme,

As to your frustration you might heed these articles:

The Sigh of the IT Guy:

Criticism:
i have this one lady there who thinks a memory is the amount of hard drive space there is
As to this, I am dating myself but, I trained our departmentsl secretary staff to use PC's way back. I used the "Office" metaphor.

RAM=your destop, HD=your filing cabinets, folders are identical to the physical ones that you are familiar with, etc.

Point being, it is helpful if you bring yourself down to the level of the group/person that you are attempting to instruct. Placing youself above them does not benefit the relationship in any way.

Hope you can find a middle ground to continue on.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back