Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A:\ is not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket69

Technical User
Nov 10, 2003
GB
Gettin this message on my computer now guys, using windows xp home edition,(A:\ is not accessible) will not let me use my A: drive, and will not run cds/dvds in D: drive, only runs them if u reboot computer with cd/dvd in the machine, it some how recognises that the cd/ dvd is there then it will run them.

any ideas guys, what is going on with my computer, is it not a virus, i think running norton 2004 and ad-adware spy software, both not picking up anything, could it be the leads from the mother board to the perpheral device etc..

Could be that the a: drive has died. This is the floppy I presume. Hook up another one and try.

tried that everything is workin ok.......but still gettin message a: not accesible(floppy)

Particularly if you are using the floppy drive a lot, this thread may give you the bad news: thread750-630047

Rocket, I have this exact same problem with a client. WinXP Home, "A:\ is not accessible. Illegal function.". Also cannot access the CD-Rom device, although I did not try leaving a CD in the drive.

Boots from floppy, and floppy works fine. If you boot to Safe Mode both devices work fine.

Machine was polluted with spyware, as well as a few virae, but I think we've got her all cleaned out. Problem persists.

I was suspecting that maybe Explorer had gotten corrupt with all the spyware and such, but that does not make sense since it all works fine in Safe Mode.

I'm still searching for this problem, but let us know if you solve it.

TTYL.

I'm having the same problem - no access to my peripheral drives (floppy, CD, and CD/R).

This occurred after I cleaned things up from the Blaster Worm.

I found a forum somewhere that alluded to the fact that it may be from a Windows update - and, of course, I applied three updates during the course of the cleanup. I'm hoping that someone may have found the cure.

Any news from anywhere?

Noooo news yet guys.......
im still looking for a solution.
good luck

Rocket

Rocket69 I have a solution for you.
Find out the type of motherboard and replace it.
The problem is your motherboard.they usually arent very expensive. about $90 to $110 Good Luck

problem is not the mother board. as it works ok in safe mode, but for some reason it does not go at all in any other state......i think it could be the os (windows xp) or a worm i have picked up, which my virus software norton and spyware software cant pick up........

we will get to the bottom of this yet guys....

You might try this; boot up in safe mode and then reinstall the drivers for your drives (A:, CD & CD-R).

But beware, I'm still drinking my first morning coffee and as such cannot be held responsible for anything I say prior to my first cup. :)

All great accomplishments were once considered impossible.

When the BIOS is set to boot from the CDrom, the CDrom becomes the A: drive. I've never seen this to cause a problem, but anything's possible.

I have the same problem with a Windows 2000 installation, i.e. cannot access the floppy or cdrom, with dialog saying "invalid function" whenever I try to.

Don't know what the problem is, but there is something else happening that may stem from the same base cause, and perhaps offer a clue to what the base cause is ... ?

I cannot perform a checkdisk of the primary hard drive (there is only one hard drive in the machine). Whenever I try, it always says that it can't gain exclusive access to the hard drive, and terminates.

(For those unfamiliar with how to run checkdisk, it can be run by right-clicking on the icon of the hard disk to be checked, selecting "properties", clicking on the "tools" tab in the resulting window, and then clicking the "check now" button.)

Is anyone else having this problem?

If so, perhaps whatever process is monopolizing the hard disk so that checkdisk can't be run on it is also causing problems with the floppy and cdrom ... ?

I've looked for such a process in "task manager" but was not able find it. I ran out of the time, and the machine is across town, so its hard (i.e. inconvenient) to get to.

HTH and TIA

Mine computer just started that the other day. I can't access either of the two (2) CD drives. One is a Sony DVD and the other is a Sony CD. When booting, the BIOS sees both the CD drives, but then Windows XP/Home will not see them.

Bobby J. Johnson

I was having the same problem with my A: drive, cd/rom and burner. I noticed you said you had Norton 2004 on your PC. I also had Norton 2004 that I upgraded through the internet form my 2002 version. I downloaded it to renew my subscription. I uninstalled Personal Firewall and Systemworks and as soon as I uninstalled the 2004 all my drives starting working again. I then reinstalled from my 2002 disk Norton System Works and Personal Firewall and ran Live Update. Hopefully I have all the latest updates from Symantec. I hope this helps. Maybe Symantec should look into the problems.

thanks dude I will try that...to see...

Since its been mentioned that Norton may be involved, I did a search on the symantec site.

Check out this link:

If that doesn't work, go to search engine on the symantec site and type the the search terms 'floppy "not accessible"' (without the single quotes). The first hit is the link.

I'm going to see if uninstalling Norton also solves the checkdisk problem.

One more minor thing. I notice on all the postings but mine, there is a link to thank the sender for this valuable information. Guess it wasn't that valuable ... ;-)

sorry sequoya, thanks for ur advice......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back