Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A gum, or a peice of gum? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterbadger

Technical User
Nov 12, 2004
US
I would assume that because gum is individually wrapped, using a single article would be appropriate. To me, a piece of gum implies just breaking off a section of a stick, while a gum implies the whole stick.

[ponder]

The material being so "gummy", it will tend to have people trying to "diminish" it a bit to fit in the mouth. But, gum is gum.

In this context, I think that you should consider that 'gum', by defintion, is a substance of in-determinate size. It is not a unit item, so I'm not sure what 'a gum' means. When referring to a specific quantity of gum, it makes perfect sense to apply a unit of measure.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

A stick of gum has been established as a unit of measure for many commercialy available species of gum. Stick however would not tend to apply to thick stocky types such as Bazooka. A stick is flat and in an elongated rectangular, tongue filling way.

Post-chewing however does offer unifying possibilities: a wad, for example.

I know, sticky indeed.

In addition to sticks, you have bubble gum and gumballs, and candy-coated gum which can be found in almost any shape and size.

I'm not into to collecting cards much today, so it may not be true today, but back when I did collect baseball cards, it was common to get sheet gum along with the card.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I think we use piece because it comes from a package containing several pieces, just as we say piece of paper

DonBott

Hunnnn... I think piece of paper means a torn piece of paper.. unlike a sheet of paper... which is whole (8 by 11 inch or some such thing), and usually too big for the job at hand.

In this instance "gum" is a noun that refers to the material that the chewy object is made of, not the object itself. It's no more correct to say "a gum" instead of "a piece of gum" than it is to say...

"a land" instead of "a piece of land"
"an iron" instead of "a piece of iron"
"a wood" instead of "a piece of wood"

There are other types of sweet which are classed as gums, but always qualified with an adjective - "My favorite sweets are fruit gums, wine gums and sour gums". Nonetheless, the only real meaning for "a gum" (well, two of them actually) is "the only things you'll have left to chew with if you eat too many sweets"!

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Thank you, ChrisHunt.

There is an important distinction between things that are "how many" and things that are "how much," as CajunCenturion alluded to.

Sand, water, air, gum, and the like are collection words for which one must ask "how much." They generally require not just a value but a unit: 1 pound of sand, 1 liter of water, 1 cubic meter of air, 1 pound of gum. Some can be used with "how many" by some alteration. How many grains of sand, molecules of water or air, sticks of gum?

Yes, there are some things which can be viewed in both ways: we order "a water" and mean a glass of water, a bottle of water. With enough time and common usage, it may one day be correct to say "a gum." But in the meantime, I think it is "some gum" or "a stick of gum."

As for piece of paper... I've never heard of that referring only to a torn piece. Whenever I ask someone for a piece of paper, they know I want a whole one.

One of these how many/how much confusions that I remember is with "corn." I worked at the fair as a teenager and was galled to hear people ordering "two corns" instead of "two cobs of corn." It took a heroic effort to say nothing about calluses on feet!

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

>As for piece of paper... I've never heard of that referring only to a torn piece.

I always feel compelled to tear one up. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a whole one.

Oh, I too play the word game with "piece" but when I'm not being intentionally obtuse for the sake of comedy, people understand "piece of paper."

I most certainly enjoy handing people a crumb-sized "piece of cake" or telling them that the tape dispenser "only has one piece of tape left in it."

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back