Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Good Oracle reference book

Status
Not open for further replies.

davo

Technical User
Aug 7, 2000
US
Hi,<br><br>At the moment I am using an Access Database.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I will be changing however to an Oracle db server and would like a good reference manual for coding Oracle. Points I would like to cover.<br>1. Working with a VB6 API.<br>2. Tips with SQL.<br>3. Connecting the DB to the Internet<br><br>Is it fairly straight forward to connect an Oracle DB to the Web?<br>Thanks,<br>Davo

There are a couple books you might want to get:<br><br>1) Oracle 8i, A Beginner's Guide. 1999. Micheal Abbey, Micheal J. Corey, Ian Abramson. Oracle Press. <br>ISBN 0-07-212204-8<br>The sections on SQL and PL/SQL are good.<br><br>2) Oracle Programming with Visual Basic. 1999. Nick Snowden. Sybex. ISBN 0-7821-2322-8.<br>This is a good one for VB programmers who intend to start using Oracle as a back-end.<br><br>HTH, <p> Lee<br><a href=mailto: lee.meinhardt@smna.com> lee.meinhardt@smna.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Dear<br>Actually i am working on oracle database (RDBMS). Now I want to select my path either I should be certified as a Developer or as a DBA. What is the market value of these two certifications. Which one is most valueable ?<br><br>Ghazi.

In most of the markets I've investigated, DBAs are being paid significantly more than apps developers.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, for the really high salaries, you need experience as well as the DBA OCP.

Hmph -- DBA's paid more than devs? Hmm..... Perhaps I'm working for the wrong company then.<br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back