Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A good case for cooling a warm CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

xscape

Programmer
Apr 18, 2001
GB
I've been trying various things to get the temp of my CPU down. I'm using Arctic Silver II (which really doesn't make a lot of difference). I've tried a Delta 80mm fan on my old heatsink but just couldn't put up with the noise!!

So now I've got a TaiSol CGK742092 that is MUCH quieter and has a bigger heatsink. My temps were lower with the Delta (around 45C - 46C under load (with the window open!)) but now I've swapped there's a huge noise drop but a bit of a temp rise (around 50C (underload)with the window open which it's next to).

The CPU is an unclocked Athlon 1Ghz on and Abit board. Now I'm thinking that I'll probably need a new case to get the temps down any more because I'm a bit limited on the placing of fans. The Abit board has the socket quite high on the board so the heatsink's only about 1 1/2 inches from the PSU.

So can anyone recommend a good case for a warm 1Ghz Athlon that's not too expensive (And hopefully available in England!). Anything around £50 or below (about $75 or less).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! :)

:)

O.K.! Ready for some tips...

1st - Get a Fan (about 60/80mm and not too much noisy) and screw it down alined with the HSF/CPU (might have to remove those small bits of metal, just below the conectors for mouse and keyboard), and get a bit of kinda hard plastic (from a models/kit shop) and make a small duct... and you have it... no need for a new case... i guess!

Well if you dont mind spending some money

you can goto and look at their MaxCool case, it's basically a very nice Addtronic case (which would be good to upgrade to even without the cooling) , moded to provide the best (in their eyes) cooling possible. I personally want to get the MaxCool Server Tower case. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Make sure your not using intensive graphics software(ex. photoshop). Also you may get a larger frame so the air circulation is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back