Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A fresh windows7 install, does not look for windows updates 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldi07

MIS
Jun 22, 2010
CA
Hi, After a few problems with the new ZoneAlarm installation, I had to format my drive, and re-instal windows 7 (64). Unfortunately, when I look for updates, it keeps looking for hours, without stopping, without any error message, and without finding anything to update (see attached). Before the format, it used to do it...
I restatrted the installation, with the same results. Any clues anyone?
Thank you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=33218f11-afc4-4f6c-9c2c-548848f0abdd&file=Updates.PNG
Not very clear - are you looking for updates and installing at the same time or have you installed and are now looking for updates?

Hi xwb, thank you for your answer. I have installed of course, and then looking for updates. But I just realised it started working.
Probably my choice of automatic updates did not let me do a manual update as well... Anyway, it works now.
Sorry for the confusion.

Have you installed SP1 or is this a W7 with SP1 installation? SP0 will happily install updates without shifting you SP1.

The CD includes service pack 1. Thank you again.

Just an FYI for future reference...

After a fresh install of Win7 SP1, it's not uncommon for the first manual update to take up to an hour or more before it shows you a list of available updates. It shouldn't take hours, but one hour wouldn't be a surprise. A lot of that depends on the speed of the system and type of hardware installed. I've had some that take 30 minutes and others that took slightly more than an hour. No real rhyme or reason.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Every Win7 re-install I have done lately has had big issues with automatic updates. It would seem M$ has messed it up pretty bad. Same problem a neighbor had with 8.1, a whole night installing updates then his system would not boot afterwards,

It seems that every Win automatic updates has had big issues. Not only Win 7 or 8, but mostly Win 10...
I will certainly not go this way (Win 10) before a long time. Friends have been compelled to go back to Win 7 or 8 after encountering endless problems with Win 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back