Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A few very important pre-purchasing questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougsterMG

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
GB

I really could do with a few questions answering on wireless networking. I am going to be purchasing these products:

D-Link ADSL Ethernet Modem DSL-300G+

Netgear WGT624 802.11g 108 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Firewall Router

Netgear WG311T 108mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Card

Netgear WG511T 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card

1) If I purchase a 54mbps wireless-to-Ethernet bridge (e.g. Netgear WGE101 54mbps Wireless Ethernet Bridge) so I can play my PlayStation 2 online will this slow down or cause problems with the rest of my 108mbps network?

2) I have 2 wireless land telephones and I am concerned that the telephones signals will be disrupted or affected by the wireless network, especially a 108mbps network as it uses dual channels to achieve its speed. Would the wireless network cause problems with my telephones?

3) I have searched various UK websites and retailers and there seems to be 2 different types of the 'Netgear WG511T 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card', the WG511T and the WG511TGE. What is the difference between the 2 PC cards?

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help answer these questions for me, I need to get my home networked as soon as possible and I can't go ahead and purchase my desired equipment until I'm sure that no problems will rise.

Thanks

Come on, there must be somebody out there who can help me.

I'd be immensely grateful if someone could be so good as to take the time to help me with this. Please, I really need to get the computers networked.

your phones should not be effected.

Playing on line will increase your traffic. Without knowing how much traffic is generated, it is impossible to tell if there will be a bottleneck or slowdown on your network.

Get as much bandwith as you can then you should be safe.

Matt

Thanks.

I know that playing my PlayStation 2 online will increase traffic and slow down other things using the network. Anything using the network will slow down the other machines using the network.

But as the PlayStation 2 bridge is only 54mbps and the rest of the network can run up to 108mbps, will this cause the rest of the network to only run at a maximum of 54mbps? And can using a 54mbps network devices interfere with the rest of the 108mbps network?

This is the main thing I really need to know before I go ahead and purchase wireless networking equipment. Also I'm still not sure what the difference between the 2 PC cards (Netgear WG511T and WG511TGE) is.

Q: "But as the PlayStation 2 bridge is only 54mbps and the rest of the network can run up to 108mbps, will this cause the rest of the network to only run at a maximum of 54mbps? And can using a 54mbps network devices interfere with the rest of the 108mbps network?"

The likeliehood is the other way around. The 108mbps devices will interfere with the 54mbps devices.

Let me pose this question: Why are you using 802.11G?

I feel you might have some compatibility problems. Just something you might want to look over before you spend your money.

pltybx said:
[tt]Let me pose this question: Why are you using 802.11G?[/tt]
Because I'm a sucker and I want the newest/fastest technology.

Now back to the question at hand:
bcastner said:
[tt]The likeliehood is the other way around. The 108mbps devices will interfere with the 54mbps devices.[/tt]
Well acording to Netgear using 108mbps network devices should in no way interfear with 54mbps devices. My worry, as I've said before is that it may, if anything, slow down the rest of 108mbps network as it is a 54mbps device!

And I'm still no nearer to knowing the difference between the 2 108mbps PC cards.

Thanks for all your input people, I really appreciate it!

One thing. If I use a 54mbps device when the rest of the network is running at (or up to) 108mbps will this make the other devices only run at 54mbps?

Can you use a wireless router running at 108mbps with 108mbps PC cards etc and still use a 54mbps wireless-to-Ethernet bridge on the network without slowing down everything else to 54mbps?

I also wanted to know what the difference between the WG511T & WG511TGE cards was.

I asked Netgear support this question, first by email, then by phone when I didn't get a response that quickly via email, at least initially.

When I called their telephone support line, I was told that WG511TGE did not exist as a product, only WG511T. I tried to explain that various websites mentioned one or the other or both, but the answer was repeated. I gave up at that point.

However, I eventually did get a bite on the question I had emailed in, and after I provided some websites showing the two product/manufacture codes, I got a satisfactory response. I quote:

"There is no difference between WG511T & WG511TGE. GE it means German Edition."

So, there you have it. As to why there is a specific need for the different product/manufacturer code, your guess is as good as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back