Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a few simple questions from a novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycape

Programmer
Aug 22, 2003
ZA
I'm very new to photoshop as you will tell from my questions, I was wondering if someone could let me know the steps to achieving the following 3 things :

1. Placing one picture ontop of another

2. Cutting a picture out (ie : cutting part of a pic away from its background).

3. Changing the colour of a certain part of a picture.

thanx, I appreciate it.

andy

Did you do a SEARCH in the forum Andy? They are very common questions that have been answered here many times. I'm sure you will have no problem finding search results for those things!

> I'm very new to photoshop as you will tell from my
> questions, I was wondering if someone could let me know
> the steps to achieving the following 3 things :

Photoshop can be overwhelming when you are just beginning. Hope this helps you get started.

> 1. Placing one picture ontop of another

Learn to use layers. You can copy another image on top of the first by copying it to the clipboard and pasting it to the other image. How it interacts with the other layers or background depends on the selected blend mode and opacity.

> 2. Cutting a picture out (ie : cutting part of a pic
> away from its background).

There are many ways to do it in Photoshop. First you should promote the background to a layer by double clicking it in the layer palette. Then you can use the eraser tools to selectively erase from the background. Or use selection tools such as the magnetic lasso to select the subject, then copy and paste it to another layer (delete the original or set it to be invisible). Or learn to use a layer mask to mask out the background (nice because it is easily reversed or revised at a later date - other methods are less forgiving, but within the same editing session the history brush is available). Or learn to use the extract filter.

> 3. Changing the colour of a certain part of a picture.

One easy way is: select the part you want to change (e.g., with one of the lasso tools), then adjust the Hue, Saturation and Lightness of the selection.

Regards,
Sheri

Also andycape, I would advise working your way through the help files (F1). Photoshops help files are comprehensive (more so in CS with the 'How to's); It's how I learned to use Photoshop.

Also, Experiment! Try using the tools and filters, and if you come across anything not covered ion the Help files, then here is where to post.

I imagine Dimoj(much like myself) is frustrated by the new users who (to us) don't know the basics.

Search through the forums and you'll find answers(there's nearly always more than one way to do something in Photoshop) to most of your questions, and links to plenty of tutorials.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back