Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi!

I'm learning a bit of inline Assambler and have a few questions:

Im trying to use the MOVD instruction( it's called instructions, right?) but my compiler (VC++ 6.0) says : function 'main' has no EMMS instruction. Main is of course the function where i put the assambler-code. I kinnda know what EMMS is, or do I? An instruction that empties the MMX state, right? Anyways, do I need to include some old MMX-lib or what? I bet it's a simple deal but I'm lost.

Question number two comming up. If I use the instruction allowed by SSE or SSE2 with a processor that only supports MMX, what would happend?

And the last question, are there any good inline assembler tutorials out there? Preferbly one that addresses the SSE and SSE2 technology..

OK, that's it!

I think you need to precede some of the MMX instructions with a EMMS... I dunno, I'm primarily a 16-bit programmer hehe. However I don't think you need to link in someone else's library, asm programmers usually build their own lib's.

As for using instructions which are unsupported by a certain microprocessor on that microprocessor, you'll likely get an "Undefined Opcode" exception. Forgot which interrupt that is, but it'll be caught by the OS (or it SHOULD be caught). If it isn't caught, it'll hang. If it is caught, the OS will terminate that process.

As I said I'm primarily a 16-bit programmer so I don't know much about MMX and other advanced stuff... I better start searching somewhere (sigh).
"Information has a tendency to be free. Which means someone will always tell you something you don't want to know."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back