Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A fairly easy one to get you thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrees

Programmer
Feb 20, 2003
GB
I saw this in a pub in Bristol some years ago - the barman offered us a free round of drinks if we could get it before he pulled 3 pints of Guinness. We didn't...so start pouring and have a go!

Code:
What is the last line?
?

Thanks

mrees

Code:
[COLOR=white white]101[/color]

[Cheers] ?

[blue]An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind. - "Mahatma" Mohandas K. Gandhi[/blue]

Code:
[COLOR=white white]1211[/color]

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Code:
[white]1211

Each line describes the line above.
Above is one 1 -> 11
Above are two 1's ->21
Above is one 2 and one 1 ->1211

I just saw that [b]CC[/b] beat me to it, but I'll post anyway in case anyone needs an explanation.
[/white]

[tt]-John[/tt]

Nicely done to CC and Higgins - a beer for you both, but make it last a little longer than it took you to answer. Unfortunately for you MakeItSo, you can be the designated driver!

mrees

And this one is a bit tougher, I believe:

What is the next number in the series?
"1000, 22, 20, 13, 12, 11, 10, ???"

(Remember, every true numeric series comes with an equation. For example, an equation for the series, "2,4,6,8..." could be represented by "N=P*2", where "N" = the Number and "P" = its position in the series. See if you can come up with the solution equation for the series, in addition to the "next number".)

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 20:26 (29Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 13:26 (29Dec04) Mountain Time

SantaMufasa,

Is this wordplay or is it math? It was actually a clue to the first puzzle that it was in the wordplay forum (and properly so). I'm wondering about this one.

Spot on Esquared! It was the "Not a math problem" clue that eventually led me to the right answer.

mrees
------
Wish I was witty

Good point Esquared. Didn't think on this one...
[blush]

[blue]An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind. - "Mahatma" Mohandas K. Gandhi[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back