Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A failed cu process has locked an internal modem. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHovis

Technical User
Apr 14, 2000
GB
A serial connection via an internal modem on /dev/tty1 was interrupted by the user (via Control-C) and now the cu process has the modem locked.<br><br>Is there a way to reset the modem without having to resort to a system reboot?<br><br>A <FONT FACE=monospace>'fuser /dev/tty1'</font> shows the single failed pid for the cu process that was interrupted.<br><br>An attempt to issue a <FONT FACE=monospace>'/usr/lbin/tty/stty-cxma flush /dev/tty1'</font> is unsuccessful.<br><br>Using <FONT FACE=monospace>'smit rsf'</font> to force a modem reset also fails.<br><br>Attempts to remove /dev/tty1 fail because the device is busy.<br><br><b>Help!</b><br>

Can you kill the process that has it locked? (or is it gone already?)<br><br>Mike <p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Mike,<br><br>I am not able to kill the process that has the modem locked. Doing a <b>ps -ef ¦ grep cu</b> shows that the process is now 'owned' by the kernel. That is ...<br><br>root)/: ps -ef ¦ grep cu<br>&nbsp;gplive 16384&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Apr 12&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;0:00 cu -ml tty1<br><br>... and I think that requests to kill such processes are ignored.<br><br>McH

Elgis,<br><br>thank you for your suggestion. I have tried it but the process continues to run and maintains the lock on the modem (/dev/tty1).<br><br>McH<br><br>root)/: ps -ef ¦ grep cu<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;gplive 16384&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Apr 12&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;0:00 cu -ml tty1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;root 21668&nbsp;&nbsp;4336&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2 10:03:38&nbsp;&nbsp;pts/1&nbsp;&nbsp;0:00 grep cu<br>root)/: su - -c fuser -k /dev/tty1<br>/dev/tty1:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;16384<br>root)/: ps -ef ¦ grep cu<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;gplive 16384&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Apr 12&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;0:00 cu -ml tty1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;root 21076&nbsp;&nbsp;4336&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2 10:04:26&nbsp;&nbsp;pts/1&nbsp;&nbsp;0:00 grep cu<br>

try the pdisable command<br>the syntax is 'pdisable /dev/tty1'<br>i hope this will help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back