Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A different grouping in the report footer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varith

Programmer
Jun 16, 2003
US
I have a report that shows summary data grouped by Territory/Company/Business unit. At the end of the report there is a summary table of the same data grouped by business unit only. Right now I have a subreport in the report footer. The data for both the main and subreport comes from a stored procedure using the same parameters and thus returning the same data.

This method works, but it hits the stored procedure twice, doubling the time it takes to run the report. So what I'm trying to figure out is how to either

1) Get Crystal to use the same dataset for the subreport as for the main report. I know I could do that programmatically but I would also like to use that in the RDC. I've tried linking the DB fields but that only seems to pass the last row to subreport, rather that the entire set.

--or--

2) Have the a group that is unrelated to the Terr/Company/Unit groups in the main report and put those grouped rows in the footer of the main report. I think this may not be possible give the way I understand Crystal to work, but there is a very good chance I am just ignorant.

If the number of Business Units is static and there aren't too many of them, you could create formulas to summarize each Business Unit and then report them at the end of your report. The problem with this is that if a new Business Unit is created the report will have to be modified to include the new Unit. The subreport seems to be the safest way to go.

MrBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back