Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A different Baseline setting for one page... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzapuca

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
AR
Hi guys,

I have to fit uneven columns and is quite a struggle somethings.

Regarding that i have 1 question.

1 - Is it possible to have a different Baseline setting for one particular page? I do like to feature of snap to baseline (i do not mean the Cyan guideline) which is useful while fitting paragraphs. The whole document has a different space for the body text and in the Book References Section i need 1 mm separation among paragraphs.

As you can see the text is out of the Baseline guides making it a bit harder to fit, but i have to keep the Leading to 12 pt and separation among paragraphs to 1 mm.

Maybe the solution is quite simple and it is just to late and my brain Does Not Compute...

Thanks for any info!

Cheers,
Sebastian

No, the baseline setting affects the entire job.

And in my honest opinion should never be used.

Oh, and by the way... that's not 1mm in your image. I think you'll find the baseline settings overrule all other measurments adjustments.

Once you turn off you baseline setting you will see everything snap back to their true measurements.

As a test... draw a box 1mm by 1mm and line it up next to what you have made.

Having said that, if you must use it.

Select the text on that page and turn it off

Select the text box.
Right click on it
go to text frame options
under the Vertical justification section.
change the align to be justifiy

This will get you out of trouble.

Marcus

Hi Sebastian,

Indesign can have a different baseline for each text-frame.
i guess that would do the trick for you.
See: Object ->Text-frame-options->baseline options of a frame

You can make an object style, so you can use it at more places in your document.

Just one other thought, you can use a fixed space after a paragraph.
see: Text -> paragraph -> left row, 3th field from the top

Marcel

Thanks Marcus and MVerschuren, both very good tips!

Marcus, Just curious, why you do not like the Baseline guides? What they do which is not positive in your opinion? The trick to Justify is very good and easy. I understand it does change the leading a bit but keeps the 1 mm separation among paragraphs. That will do it.

Marcel, i did not know about this Baseline flexibility. Good point! By the way, i thought i was already using a fixed space after paragraph is i am not mistaken. Isn´t that the first light red rectangle in the picture attached? but i can be mistaken as i said.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Your right.. i didn't noticed it.. i looked at the distance indication at the middle of the page.

Marcel

I don't like using it for the following reason:

Snapping to the baseline grid is ok for straight text, but when you have images and quote boxes set at say 14 pt but you want to space the page with an image out a little better you can't because the text will snap to the next 14pt mark.

Most times you only want a half space top and bottom to separate a quote.
You will notice that even though you put in 7pt above the para and 7 pt below, it will snap to the the 14 pt guide.

Marcus

Thanks for your perspective, Marcus.

I was mostly working with straight text right now so i did not notice the other option.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back