Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A DeskTop ICON for my program, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJay

Programmer
Nov 25, 1998
US
I'm using the VB 6 package and deployment wizard and I want to have it install a desktop Icon ( myapp.lnk ) but it says there already is a file by that name, but there isn't except of course the file the .lnk file points to ( myapp.exe ).<br>How do you get the setup to put an icon link in windows\desktop to your program?

Just a thought - but can you edit the setup.lst file&nbsp;&nbsp;so that it installs the .lnk file before the .exe? I've not tried this - just guessing. <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

This is a bit far-fetched and it will only work with an ideal setup: <br><br>You might try renaming Setup.exe to Install.exe (and editing the setup.lst to reflect that... hmmm, I think you'll have to rename setup.lst to install.lst also... it's been a while since I tried this). Then create a batchfile called SETUP.BAT. Something like....<br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>@ECHO OFF<br>SET DESKTOP=%windir%\DESKTOP<br>COPY /V MYAPP.LNK %DESKTOP%<br>SET DESKTOP=<br>CALL MySetup<br></font><br>As I said, It's a bit uneven because the link will only be valid if the user installs to the default installation folder.<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

Why don't you try using somthing like WISE Installer for WISE Systems.&nbsp;&nbsp;It has a great scripting language... mush better then PDW.<br>If you really wanto make a good install, then this is for you.<br><br>Or you could try a self running exe that puts the .lnk file there. :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back