Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A challenge - Find & Replace within a column

Status
Not open for further replies.

plshelpme

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
CA
Here's what I want to do.

i have a table with multiple columns and in column B i have a list of names seperated by ^s

Here is a sample of records:

Code:
1   Bill^Sue^Bob^Frank^ 
2   Fred^Joe^Bill^John^Sue^Doug^
3   Joe^Sam^Todd^
4   Bill^

I want to write a script that will look within column B and if it finds the name 'Bill' it will replace it with 'William'.

So the above sample of records would become:

Code:
1   William^Sue^Bob^Frank^ 
2   Fred^Joe^William^John^Sue^Doug^
3   Joe^Sam^Todd^
4   William^

Any one have any idea how to do this?

There are several records and several orders in which the names could appear and I do not want to write multiple UPDATE scripts....I just want a 'find & replace' feature for within a column within and SQL table.

It HAS to be possible!!!

Thanks

This should work. Create a recordset then iterate through it using the function
Replace(namefield.value,'valuetoreplace','replacementvalue') JHall

i tried the replace and substitute functions in an update's and append's criteria row. now i'm writing an expression based on iif.

where would the replace function be written? not the criteria row.

marknla2

marknla2,

I'm unclear what you want to accomplish. Please explain. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back