Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A beginner question(Getting information)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvt

Programmer
Jul 19, 2000
SE
I have read somewhere that if I visit certain sites on the web, information about me can be obtained, for instance, the country I come from. Is this true? How does it work? Can I obtain information about someone else?<br><br>Would appreciate if anyone could explain. <br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Vio<br>

I suggest you search the web for 'Anonymizing proxy' This should return loads of sites that discuss this complex issue.

Information can be obtained about your activities but usually not through a website.&nbsp;&nbsp;The only way a website can retrieve any type of data related to your computer is through the use of a cookie.&nbsp;&nbsp;A cookie is a small text file that the browser allows the website to dump data to. these files in the past have been used to gather and store your activitie on a particular website.&nbsp;&nbsp;For example, say you go to a bookstore website, some websites keep a list of everything you have bought, which links you have clicked etc..&nbsp;&nbsp;I would not really be worried about information gathered this way, it is dependent completely on what you type in etc..&nbsp;&nbsp;You can delete all the cookies on your machine periodically by going to c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files or if you have windows users set up go to c:\windows\profiles\username\cookies.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would be far more worried and concerned about information that is obtained be programs like Real Player, Real Audio from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> a month ago a security expert noticed that Real Player was transmiting stored email address, alot of other private information.&nbsp;&nbsp;These types of programs can reveal more about your computing habits than any cookie enabled website.&nbsp;&nbsp;good luck and just search the web ocasionally for privacy website and you should find current news and stuff and programs that have broken privacy laws.<br><br> <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"In the beginning there was HTML, and it was good"<br>
by Nick Heinle, Designing with JavaScript<br>
<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back