Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

_RESTORE files in Win 2K 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorEd

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
I have an enormous amount of files on my C drive in a folder called C:/_RESTORE. I used to have Win ME on my Toshiba Satellite 2805-S603 laptop (OEM). I reformatted the hard drive and installed Win 2k and have been using it for a little over 2 years now with very few problems (most of which I cured using this web site). Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this folder is a throwback to Win ME and Win 2K does not use this folder. The Folder was last modified over 2 years ago and some of the files were created before I owned the laptop. If I delete this folder will I be causing a catastrophic problem on my laptop? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doc
Mission Systems Engineer/Orbit Analyst
Honeywell Technical Solutions Inc.

No, go ahead and delete. But you are probably mistaken about formatting that drive, it would have erased that folder. Odds are you popped in the Windows 2000 cd and did an upgrade.

Nevertheless, its safe to delete.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hey Matt (or anyone else with the knowledge), here is my boot.ini file...My system appears to have a dual boot but only Windows 2k works...can I tweek this file to make my machine come up faster and not have to chose a windows to launch...I think I can change the timeout to 0 or something real small...is that corect?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Yes, and this should give you basic info on the file...

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Once again, thanks Matt...appreciate the help.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back