Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

_memberDescription in Analysis Studio (+ more general metadata issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seweryng

Technical User
May 17, 2004
AU
Hi,

Can we see columns set as _memeberDescription anywhere in Analysis Studio.

What other ways do we have to display the metadata in Cognos Connection Studios?

The options I can think of are:

- tool tip
It is limited to the x characters and must be put in manualy? I can not e.g. import this from Erwin. I can optionally think about using SDK to get this from database...

- <a title = html element. But this is totally manual and it is hard to 1.require every report writer to use this in every report 2.enforce consistency of business definitions through all the reports.

- include the drill through report or linked UML to data dictionary repository in report template. This is quite good but will work only for Reports Studio reports.

Am I right, are there any other options to get metadata in big environment from metadata repositories into Cognos? Especially, is there any good automatic solution to get each field description from tool like Erwin and display it to the report consumers?

I would appreciate any help/discussion in this matter.

Regards,
Seweryn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back