Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9miles/15km WLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie321

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Hi

We have two remote sites without line of sight, with 9miles/15km between them.

Are there any products available that will support WLAN over these distances?

Thanks B

Without line of sight between the two places it dont think there is anything that would work WLAN wise. But I could be wrong.

Matt Laski
Network Administrator
Pulsafeeder SPO

try to use 802.11b with Up-Down converter which will convert 2400 to 900 for no line of sight however it will work it good situation of none line of sight , if you have a huge mountains, it may not work at all

I think the world record is 310km for WLAN...

...I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the transmitters though!!!

:)

Symbol sells antennae strong enough to cover this distance but one has to assume that it is L.O.S. only, obviously it is not specified in their brochure.

As codecref wrote before me, depending on the actual obstruction between the two buildings, i would not be surprised is a stronger antenna made it the full distance based solely on signal dispersion. If the obstruction is totally opaque then you would have to set up a relay/repeater on a structure (building or other...) that shares a L.O.S. with both the transmiting and the receiving ends of the signal. Of course this option works just fine but doubles both the cost and the paper work involved since you need permissions to setup a relay on someone else's structure.

Good luck anyway,

Simon Parent

Thanks for the advice guys

I think this one may be a lost cause.

There are two resonably big hills between the two sites, finding a point with L.O.S. will probably be difficult, but i will keep on the lookout for somewhere.

Thanks Again B

Any possibility os placing a relay site on the hilltops??

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Gotta say, after just experiencing a situation with a power issue, go with Redline radios AN50's for this solution. use a relay point that is line of sight, and probably a 120' agl monopole. The cisco solution with 1410 radio's and 28dbi dishes would not work over 5 miles at 100mwatt. so beware of this model, on paper it works fine, in real life with no Fresnel zone probs, and no LOS issues over 5 miles is a non-solution with cisco and the FCC approved 100mwatt power setting.

Joe Olivier
colliergov.net

update
Found out from Cisco that this is a known bug with the 1410 radios. when you change the SSID it sets the CCA back to 0, all you have to do is set the CCA to 61 via command line and boom your back to business

Joe Olivier
colliergov.net

Look at Orthogon,
They have the best NLOS PtP kit available today.
If you have an option to "daisy-chain" the wireless hops you may be able to go round or up and down in some way.

The kit costs about £8k here in the UK. So pretty expensive.

- have similar technology at cheaper prices, but are routing rather than bridging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back