Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9a6f_appcompat.txt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjaa

Technical User
Feb 3, 2010
DK
Hi,

I do not know if this is the right place for this post but i will give it a shot!

My problem is that on startup not all the time but most when i turn on windows i get this error: Appcompat.txt

I have tryed to search the internet a bit but the only thing i could finde should be kinda of a spyware, but we got an pretty tight security at my firm. So if anyone can think of anything els i would be pleased :)

Best Regards
Kristian

I see nothing on that link. Anyway, security is never absolute, so a full scan never hurts.

Cheers,
Dian

You don't get any picture? Hmm weird it works for me! :)

Nah that's maybe true, maybe ill will try a spyware scan, we just ran a full scan of the systems yesterday, and it's a deep scan.

I saw the picture, so it's there. I didn't see anything really helpful in diagnosing, however...

Try this:
1. Scan for any malware - get Malwarebytes Antimalware from - download, install, quick scan, remove anything found - let us know if anything found.
2. Next, if nothing found, try RegscrubXP - download, install, "program finds problems", then "fix all"

See if problem still exists after that.. let us know, and we can proceed from there.

Also, somewhere in there, it wouldn't hurt to check all your event logs, to be sure of no disk errors as well.

And if you want to be sure, running MemTest from the link on the name, or from the If you get the UltimateBootCD, it wouldn't hurt to also do a hard drive diagnostic scan or two.

By the way, anybody know anything about the RegScrubXP showing at up at It's a later version #, but I know it wasn't supported by the original mgf, Lexun, and the source for the new version is some guy with a wedding photography website, though the link there about RegScrubXP no longer works... it's listed as version RegscrubXP 5.1.

Okay i got a scanner in progress, using SUPERAntiSpyware is kinda the one my firm uses so..

I have been looking in the Eventlog and i can see the error, as im posting here: [link ]ExplorerError[/url].

I do not know if this is of any help?

After my Spyware scan, i will try and run a RegScrubXp, and a HiJack i think it's called on the file that is the problem!

Well, the picture worked differently this time - last time, it just showed in the page directly linked to, this time I had to download it.

Regardless, I don't see any definite information in the event telling what the problem is... it's with Windows Explorer for sure. That could be caused by corruption, malware, or RAM/Hard Drive issues.

Looks like you've got some other errors in there as well..

Have you heard any different noises coming from the computer? Any sort of scratching or ticking sounds? If so, that'd indicate a pending hard drive failure.

Whatever the reason, I'd suggest backing up any data off the machine if you've not already done so... just in case.

Let us know how the registry fixer goes... also, if you run malwarebytes antimalware, it'll find stuff that superantispyware will not find... and vice versa.. it's also much faster than SAS.

Well, after doing some searching around, based off seeing your Userinit errors that are apparently showing as well in your event log, I'd suggest that you may still have some sort of infection, and I'd not rely just on any one program.

You could also try a free online scanner to see if it picks up anything different:

is one good one - you have to download a file, and run it to get it started - it works pretty well.

Also, with RegScrubXP, it might help disable any malware running on your system - not always, but oftentimes it does, b/c of bad programming of many bugs out there.

Regardless, post back with your progress....

If you get to the point of posting a hijackthis log, then post it in forum760 with a link back to this thread, and then put a link in this thread to the new thread - just makes it much easier on anybody following the process.

Okay, i have been running SAS it did only find some cookies. Did a run of the RegScrubXp it did find around 100+ errors, i did a repair and after that it did not find anymore, was that the correct process? I have been running a Trend Micro OfficeScan, nothing found. Ya for sure it's explore, but i tried a reboot after all these scans an cleanup's, and it startet without the error. So for now it's gone, but damn sometimes they allways come back! In that case i will post inhere again! So we can follow up on the problem.

BTW RegScrubXp is a really nice program!

Yep, you ran RegScrub correctly. I love that program, just wish they still supported it, or had an updated version that'd run on Vista and 7.

BTW, I'd suggest watching your language. Being it's considered a "professional" forum, I don't think foul language is highly tolerated. Personally, that alone is one of the things that has kept me here for a long time.

Sorry but what? Please tell me about my foul language, what part referring to my answer is the problem? I can't se the problem anywere.. You must be kidding me if you refer to "damn"?

I know that many use it very often, but yes, that is what I'm referring to. My mention was just a warning to keep in mind this is a "professional forum", and people have been kicked off for less. I could have simply red-flagged the post, honestly, but I am trying to give warning. In the "non technical" forums, it seems that is let to slip much easier as they are supposed to be a little more lax or laid back, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back