Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9940 head problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

timwah

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
US
Does anyone know what causes the occasional head damage during shipping of 9940 drives? I have seen about a dozen or so drives with heads cracked from contact with the loader ring.
Thanks,
TE

I too am interested in the cause of this?

Why do you get to see so many bad drives? It is known that transporting without the head lock on, or powering them up without removing the head lock, or careless stuck cartridge removal does them no good.

Is there any other info you can add, such as good stock or fault returns, shipped in original box & packaging etc. What were your circumstances..?

STKman

Hi STKman,
I supply tech services to leasing companies and used equipment brokers. I generally get a very gray history on equipment coming off lease, and consider most stories that come back with "returned as defective" drives to be pure fabrications. No one EVER powers up a drive with the head locked (5A33) or has had a tape stuck in the drive. I've seen the head damage on units that were poorly packed as well as on drives in the factory packing kit. Some have obviously had the headlock forced with the head in the wrong position, but most seem to have been hit by the load ring. I don't think powering up with the head locked causes damage, but I don't want to try it with a $10,000.00 drive.
TE

Thanks for that.

Some 9940's that we have sent to an external repairer have come back tagged BER (beyond economical repair) due to head damage. We are trying to figure out if it is an internal issue or if it’s a stock fault, and can happen no mater how careful you are. It is difficult because, as you say, nobody ever dos anything incorrectly.

STKman

What I have seen is head damage due to the top os the case getting bent. There is very little clearance between the head and the case. If they are not packed well for shipping the case can get bent, and it not noticed until it is too late. This is more noticable on the later versions which do not have the orange shipping tool.

A majority of the head contact with the wrap ring (tape path) is from rough handling and/or dropping. Worn bushings on the side cams will also cause the wrap ring to be closer to the head. Manually moving the loader into the loaded position can cause this if the wrap ring is in the wrong position. Most later models of the 9940, both A and B, have an added safety feature of pins protruding from the head frame that are supposed to keep the wrap ring off of the head. Drives should never be shipped in a loaded position as with the 9840. Also, the orange head restraint that is used with the 9840 doesn't work with the 9940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back