Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98se Reinstall restart = blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings23

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have a Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 Pen Tablet with Win 98se installed. It has external 3.5 floppy and external USB 2.0 CD-ROM attached. I have a good image of the hard drive with a good install of 98se that I can keep reverting back to.

With windows up and running I install the USB cd-rom so I can run setup on my 98se CD. My CD is the full version and the install on the pen tablet is from a different disk with a different product key and is also 98se but I don't have that disk.

I run setup from the disk and the setup program pops up. It checks the drives, license agreement, product key and then starts copying files. After it gets done copying the windows 98 files it restarts. When it restarts the splash screen comes up and then just blank with a curser on the top left. Locked up with no typing or response. I can load up the boot disk and can view the files on the hard drive but can't get it to load up into windows.

Why is it going to blank screen on the restart and everytime after that?

Thanks
Kings

Have you tried starting in safe mode? Or use the stepwise confirmation alternative?

I've had problems with USB drivers and Win98 on a fresh install. May need to go into to safe mode and delete them for the time being until the whole thing has a chance to finish setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back