Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9840B FC drives in L700

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechyG

Vendor
Oct 22, 2009
ZA
Hi All

I just need some assistants...

A client used more then 2 years ago 3 x 9940B and HP LTO3 drives in a L700.

He the stopped using the 9940 drives and used it in their Nearline.

Today we tried installing 2 x 9840B FC drives in the L700 - using the same tray's that was used for the 9940B drives.

I installed the drives... on the op panel it is just displaying 00 and 01 "configuring"... under the "drive configuration" for 00 and 01 - I can see 9840B but nothing else...

The drive Lib addresses - was set to FF... is this correct?

Does the tray need "jumper cables" (red/black at the back of the tray) like the drives on the Nearline which is on PH... We used 9840B drives in 9710 with the jumble cables on RC...

The library firmware is 3.15 and the drives 1.30 and 1.35...

Is there a difference in trays for 9940 and 9840?
Can it be the drive configuration?

Can it be the firmware? (it work with the 9940B drive and HP LTO3 drives)

Please share some thoughts... it will be appreciated!

I read through Thread 507-1539159... what was the solution...?

Greetings.

The 9940B trays are longer than the 9840 trays for the same library. I've never tried using a 9840 on a 9940 sled, I think the length difference is out the back and should not affect the drive possitionin the front. Are these fibre drives? Try to power them up completely with the fibre cable unplugged and see if the l700 completes the configuring step. then plug the fibre in.

Just noticed that you mentioned these were FC drives. Try the boot up without the FC plugged in and see if that helps.

Hi

Thank you for the message... they are using the tray with the power supply on top of the drive...

The FC cables are not plugged in...

Hi Timwah

How did you sort out your similar problem...?

I tried a different drive with code 1.35 and it worked.. the drives with code 1.30 did not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back