Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9840 Scsi 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapedrivedoctor

Technical User
Apr 21, 2004
GB
I am trying to uplevel 9840 scsi drives. I am trying to make a codeload tape through the front panel of the drive, but it constantly gives me a CHK A738. The firmware in the drive is 1.30.112. I have upgraded before from 1.24 to 1.28 using a code load tape. Why does this code level not allow this function.

thanks

The text for A738 is: The Engineering Port Task failed to verify the functional code CRC in the EEPROM. It may not contain a complete code image or the EEPROM may be defective.

In English, this means is the last time the drive was upgraded via a firmware tape, only a subset of the code was loaded (ie the SCSI part in your case). You can verify this by looking at the config via the panel, and it will see something like "FULLCODE=N"

With recent firmware, for a drive to be able to make up a code tape all three images need to have been loaded on the drive (SCSI, FC and ESCON), made possible by the setting "FULLCODE=Y" even though it will only use one of the images.

This is a dirty ploy by STK to produce revenue, keep code out of the hands of customers and (worse), third party outfits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back