Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9840 FUP tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapedrivedoctor

Technical User
Apr 21, 2004
GB
I have just made a 9840 firmware tape. Can anyone tell me how to use this tape to upgrade other 9840 drives.

thanks

Be aware that firmware updates may need to go in steps from one level to the next in some cases...

CAUTION:
Firmware corruption: Do not initiate IPL or power off the drive while the firmware is updating. Interrupting this process corrupts the contents of the drive’s electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM) and requires the drive to be replaced.

To load firmware in a desktop or rack-mount 9840 Tape Drive:

1. Ask the operator to make sure the drive does not have I/O to/from the host.

Note: In the enterprise environment, ask the operator to vary the drive offline.

2. Press the Menu switch until you reach the Drive Operations menu. Drv Menu? displays.

3. Press the Select switch. IPL FromTp menu displays.

4. Press the Select switch. Any tape cartridge in the drive ejects.

5. When Ld IPL Tp displays, load a write-protected tape cartridge with the desired firmware in the drive.

a. The firmware load starts automatically.
Note: If CodCrFailx displays (where x=1 or 2), an error has
occurred. See Table 7-2 on page 7-3.

b. When updating is done, the tape cartridge ejects, and Remove Tape displays.

6. Remove the tape cartridge from the drive. The drive automatically performs IPL and comes online.

7. Inform the operator that the drive is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back