Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98' Freezing on Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mans

Programmer
Mar 18, 2000
AU
Hello,

I am using Windows 98 on a Compaq laptop. When I start the computer it freezes in the DOS screen, I have re-booted it and it continues to freeze. Before this freezing started, on start up I got a message that said "Error insufficient disk space", following this message the computer ran through the Scandisk program, presented the summary report, then it froze in the DOS screen.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you

The first thing I would do is run a good virus scan from a boot disk. If there are no viruses then you can try to boot to safe mode.

I agree, the first thing you should do is run a virus scan, then to get into safe mode hit f8 whiles it booting right after the post. In safe mode check your drive space. Most likely windows has been corrupt and you will need to re-install but hopefully through safe mode you will be able to get your data off.

Thank you for your responses. I tried to re-install the system and the computer is stuck on a screen that says "General Failure Reading Drive A Abort, Retry, Fail?r". I put in r for retry and hit enter then it just froze, every time I re-start the compter it reverts to that screen ie "General Failure Reading Drive A Abort, Retry, Fail?r", no matter what I do that screen will not go away.

Can you please tell me how I can get out of this screen.

Thank You

It sounds like you might have a virus.
First you can boot to dos and check the free space on your hard drive. If there is not a lot of space free, then boot into safe mode and try and clean up some space on your hard drive. A virus could also eat your hard drive space up. You will need a couple of floppy disks to check for VIRI . A boot disk. If you don't have one then you can get one from Then boot your system with the disk in the floppy drive. If it dosen't boot on the floppy, you will probably need to go into your BIOS or Setup (should be a way to get into it when you first turn on the computer, will say something like "Press DEL to run setup". In your bios look for a boot section, change your floppy disk to boot first. You will also need a dos virus scan program, McAfee and Symantec both have one. Follow their instructions and scan your hard drive.
Good Luck.. A+ MCP
deans@bellsouth.net

Thanks. But I cannot boot up from a floppy or CD ROM, when the computer starts up it shows the Compaq logo then scans the drives for about one second then comes up with "General Failure Reading Drive A Abort, Retry, Fail?r", at a DOS prompt. It is absolutely frozen, you cannot type a thing. It does not show me what I need to press to get into BIOS or setup on start up, on several occassions I tried f8 (mostly), f1 and del on start up.

Any advice ???

Thanks Again

i kinda had that problem on my IBM...i had to totally start over..use your recovery disk..and it starts fresh...my only problem is..mine still freezes all the time....even will online...

with compaqs you would hit F10 to get to setup then disable the floppy if you get to a windows prompt browse to c:\windows then c:\windows\temp
then do a del *.* in that temp directory ONLY!!
then reboot and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back