Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98 client logging on to a DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarralad

Technical User
May 24, 2003
GB
My server has two net cards.
One with a hub and a client off the hub.
The other with a cable modem connected.

With the cable modem LAN CONNECTION enabled, when I attempt to logon with the 98 client, I get an error saying no domain controller could be contacted, yet the 98 client shows up in DHCP and I can access shares etc.
With the cable modem LAN CONNECTION disabled, when I attempt to logon with the 98 client, I get no error and can access shares etc as expected.
Why is the error popping up?

I'm almost sure that, when the cable connection is live, the default gateway on the server is pointing to it, instead of the LAN. When disconnected, it probably points to the LAN.
If so, there is the problem.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Where can I adjust the default gateway for the server then?

In the TCP/IP properties of you network of course.

I changed the ' internal ' lan gateway to 192.168.0.1
Now I cant get internet access via my cable modem net card !

You say 'If so, there is the problem', but what is the cure?

That's what you just did, the cure is to ALWAYS have the default gateway pointing to the internet route.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Actually, just try going to TCP/IP properties for the cable modem connection, then Advanced, then the WINS tab. Check the option that says "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP." Reboot, and try your workstation again.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back