Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9611G mac addr

Status
Not open for further replies.

desrae

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2005
US
I just received a batch of 9611G phones, brand new. Interestingly, the mac address the phone reports is the same as communication manager reports.

However, the network switch sees it as a completely different mac address. When I do a network capture, the phone seems to be using the mac address that the switch reports - not the one the phone label or communication manager thinks it is.

Could these phones actually be authentic Avaya phones, or possibly knock offs?

SNMP walk the phone. I've never actually checked if/when they said "the switchport for the pc" is "phone mac on the top port" and "whatever the PCs mac is on the other" or if its actually a 3 port data switch - with 3 MACs, on which the telephone device connects on an internal port - which is what you see in CM, and the uplink to the data switch it gets POE from has another and the port to the PC has another. I can see that being the case. Each port on a 24 port switch has a mac, right? why would the phone be any different!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back