Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9608 Remote site VPN with Virgin Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMUK

Technical User
Apr 21, 2016
GB
Hi All,
I'm having a strange issue with some 9608 handsets at two remote sites that are using Virgin Media,
This is a new pbx installation.
My setup is as follows
Main Site - IP Office 500v2 with BT Leased Line w/Draytek 2860(All phones at this site are ok)
Sub Site 1 - 8 9608 Handsets, VPN going to main site over Draytek 2860, there is 2 broadbands on this site, the Virgin Media and an 02 Broadband, the Virgin Media connection is not allowing me to register phones properly, as soon as I flip to 02 it works perfect.
Sub Site 2 - 5 9608 Handsets, VPN going to main site over Draytek 2860, only one broadband on this site, it is a Virgin Media broadband and I cannot get my phones to register.
The Virgin Media connections allow me to input an extension number however once I've done that the handsets get stuck on "Phone" and all softkeys are blank, they are not showing up on system status either. All devices can be pinged etc, so I'm certain it's Virgin Media blocking something. Has anyone had any experience with this?, I've checked the Virgin media gateways and they are all set to what I expect. Virgin Media saying they don't block anything on the phone, unsure how to proceed next, anyone got any ideas?

Avaya_cameron_press_issue_wycaa9.jpg

Calum M
ACSS

I believe that they are blocking port 1720 which the phone uses for the configuration settings. this is what they always say "we are blocking nothing" they need to check deeper but good luck with that.
Mike

Are the phones using Nat traversal, their own VPN client or do you have a router to router VPN configured on the Drayteks?

I would strongly discourage an attempts to use NAT traversal for 2 reasons:-

1)
It is unreliable & does not work through al ISPS (VM are know to be problematical!)​
2)
It opens up a whole raft of security issues​

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Virgin Media devices won't let you change what ports it's blocking, or what is more likely the problem, turn off those VoIP "helpers" or SIP ALG's that cause these issues.

I got a remote phone working behind a Virgin Media modem by completely turning off the "firewall" on said Virgin Media modem. It was just one checkbox. I'm not saying it's a good idea to leave the network like that, but it's a good test to confirm where the issue lies.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I agree port 1720 seems to be the problem, I read 1719-1720 are required, I keep trying to contact Virgin Media and they keep saying someone from second line support will call me back, tickets been outlying for 2 days now!
@IPGuru the network is router to router. We have pretty much disabled everything possible on the Virgin Media routers and it's not helped at all, Hopefully someone calls me soon or else we may need to look at a different provider for one of the sites.

Calum M
ACSS

You're saying you have a VPN?
In that case Virgin can't block 1720 as they don't see what's going through the tunnel.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

It's not even Virgin, VM is just a licenced name, they're actually Liberty Global a big American company. Every VM connection we have used has issues, from outages to throughput issues when static IPs are required. Ditch them as soon as you can, they are our least reliable provider by far but we're stuck with them in some cases :)

Don't even get me started on their Voom connections and frigging Hitron boxes [hairpull3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back