Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9504 FW compatibility issue? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill211

Technical User
Jun 9, 2008
US
We bought some new 9504 phones and I'm getting the "Please Wait" message when I plug them in.

I think it's a compatibility issue with the firmware version.

The system is an IP500v2, ver 8.1 (52)
The new phones have Firmware version R55.

We also have some older 9504 phones with R44 and they work with our system.

Could someone advise what I should do, to make these work together?

Thank you,
Bill

Check SysMon logs with TFTP filters enabled.

thank you to derfloh for the advice,

I found these lines in SysMon
2393764882mS PRN: UpgradeEngine(f4dc2d2c:6)::Start FileSysReader file=9500R44.bin
2393764884mS PRN: UpgradeFileReader(f4dc2d2c:6)::End of File 9500R44.bin len=0 reason=2 error=4

It looks to me like it's saying that it's trying to upgrade the phones, and that I have an older version of file, R44. (which is correct)

If that's what's happening, then I don't want that. (Right?)
The phones already have the correct version of FW, so I don't want the IP500 to try to upgrade the phone.

How do I tell it to NOT attempt an upgrade?
I have unclicked Enable BootP and TFTP servers
and Manager is NOT open

I found old instructions to run fw_off.bat.
Is this still valid/necessary?

If so, it isn't working. I tried adding the switch IP to "Call fw_off" line.
when I run it, it doesn't say "Successful"

How do I NOT upgrade the phones?
(Is that the right question?)

Thank you,
Bill

Phones need to upgrade or downgrade to the correct firmware for that system, you can't stop them. Those entries you tried were to stop 54xx handsets going into an infinite upgrade loop, it doesn't effect modern phones.

You need to make sure the file the phones need is available (usually on the SD card) if it is and it isn't working then I guess you have a combo card, they often will not upgrade hndsets correctly/at all and you will need to use another card to upgrade them, preferably a DS8 :)

I'm still working on this.
What made me think I want to Just Not Upgrade
is that I found one extension that already has a 9504 on it.
When I plug the new phone into this extension, it works fine.
I assume, because it's not upgrading.
But when I plug it into any other port, it gets the "Please Wait" message.

The file is available, but it's on the computer.
The name is: 9500R44.bin
I don't have any files on the SD card.

I also don't have a combo card.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make these new 9504 phones work?
To either downgrade to R44
Or don't downgrade and just work?
---
Is downgrading from R55 to R44 a good thing?
Can phones "downgrade?"

Thank you,
Bill

Long Story short bill, put the R44 that those phones want on the SD card in the primary folder and set the phone file server type to memory card, set the TFTP server to the LAN IP of the IP office. Yes it's okay to have the digital phones "downgrade" so they work with your current release. If you REALLY want the phones at R55 or higher, then your IPO system has to be updated (firmware/software level.)

OK, thank you, I'll have to figure that out. I don't think I currently have any files on the SD card.

If you have an IP 500 V2 then you have to have files on your SD card.

Manager is supposed to put the files you need for phones (except IP phone firmware doesn't get transferred usually) when you do an upgrade or when the SD card is create/recreated. Sometimes those files need to be manually put onto the SD card. Also, if you don't have manager up and running and setup to do file transfers you need to make sure that in the system tab you have Phone File Server Type set to memory card so it grabs the files from the memory card. Putting the files into the right spot on the memory card, but still having this set to manager will still have issues obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back