Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

911 laws? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCardMan

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
Are there any laws that require you to route 911 or 9-911 calls to the outside 911 center? Location is NY. Just wondering if I can have them route to a internal security desk. Is there any risk of liability?

Thanks

o yes it is a liability. As a pbx installer not only (by law) must you educate the end user on how to properly dial 911, but you must call 9-1-1 after an install to make sure 911 operators have the locations correct e911 info

Looking to see if there are any specific NY State regulations on what we can and can not do. If I totally block 911 from being dialed, it that our decision?

Options I am faced with:

Block 911 & 9-911 (this is what they perfer)
Block 911, Keep 9-911 routing to PSAT
Route 911 & 9-911 to PSAT
Route 911 & 9-911 to internal security desk.

Issue being people are dialing 911 accidently and that currently routes to security desk and this is putting a burden on them.

i know i have googled it before and found the laws.

just search around on the web for a few min i am sure you will find something

Here is what I find happens sometimes.

They dial 9 and 1 for a long distance call then forget they already dialed the 1 then dial it again then when the dispatch center answers they hang up.

Dispatch calls back to the main number and or sends out an officer.

if it is a problem dialing 9 for outside access
change to dial 8 and leave 911 for the 911 calls
all other calls dial 8

all systems need to dial 911 to permenently manned callcenters

mike

I am in a hospital that used to have it's own ambulance department, so when someone called 911 normally they could either get the city fire department or ask for our ambulance service. Our people are all trained to dial 9-911 if they need an emergency response because it creates less nuisance calls, but 911 was still in the system. We were having problems with patients dialing 911 thinking it was funny to ask for pizza delivery and the like - they were not pleased, and it happened often enough to really get under their skin. I reprogrammed the PBX at the hospital that if someone dialed 911 it went to our own ambulance service - if it's a real call we might as well give ourselves the business, and if not, the staff are all supposed to dial 9-911, which is on all our printed materials and in our orientation package. This solved the problem until we spun off the ambulance service to the fire department, and then I had to put it back, but we really don't get too many nuisance calls anymore.

The problem I have now is in our clinics. In some cases I have multiple buildings all wired to the same PBX, and if someone calls 911 and doesn't stay on the line the cops show up at the published address for the demark and are promptly told "beats me" when they want to know where the call came from. Then they have to walk through the whole complex to check, and it usually carries a $75 price tag.

In 2013 we are supposed to be replacing all of our PBX equipment with current technology, and as part of that package I specified that a E911 solution must be provided even though WI doesn't require it yet. The vendors all balked at it because it's not required by law, but I was firm in that we already have a problem and you can bet within the next couple years or so it will be mandatory anyway. Everyone is proposing Red Sky, which supposedly will send the address, building, floor and room number to the E911 center, plus it will also text our security people that a 911 call just happened and where. Yes, we will have to maintain the database of all the numbers, but it will end up saving us a lot of hassles down the road, and we will be ahead of the game when an E911 law gets enacted in our state.

That might be another option for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back