Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

911 and SNMP Traps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsprite

Technical User
Apr 30, 2009
US
Does anyone know if a call to 911 sends out an SNMP trap?

We had a scenario yesterday where 911 was called, and routed to our e911 provider. The e911 provider sent an email to the "Emergency Coordinator" group here, but since it's a generic ELIN for a broad location, it wasn't much help in terms of WHO dialed 911.

Thankfully this 911 call was a mis-dial and we tracked it down using list emer, but that wasn't fast. So the process is raising questions on how to get more detail and get it faster.

Our thought is SNMP trapping when 911 is called.

Any thoughts?

Yeah Crisis Alert only allows for... 10 stations?

We need notification to hit a lot more than 10.

E911 solutions should have software to run on the desktop and screen pop based on the 911 call.

That may be so if we had on prem, which we don't. Their hosted solution does send us an email, but it's generic (no user information) because of it being hosted.

So we're looking for a way, either through OSSI or SNMP to find out who dialed 911 to get more info.

if its hosted then let the host provider work this out for you if I understand this correctly

I may not be clear enough, sorry for the confusion.

We are a large corporation with a lot of users. We have identified 1 ELIN for each floor in our building. This is a general ELIN that encompasses hundreds of users per floor. So when a person dials 911, RedSky only sees the ELIN for that floor. They do not see the user.

We, internally, use crisis alert so that the emergency coordinator on each floor can see who dialed 911, and wait for emergency service personell. This is great, except we need more than 10 users to be able to see who dials 911.

There must be some other way to get internal information to multiple people. Crisis alert is great - but we need to deploy that to ~50 people. Hosted RedSky emails aren't enough since they are generic to the floor, and not to the user.

Hmm.

Since we use a generic ELIN per floor (not per User), this still won't give me User-based information.

I take it there is nothing more built into CM that can provide more detail other than "list emer".

No it will. Generic ELIN per floor is fine. Its based off of crisis alert but uses only 1 station. You will need an AES server however to do the integration between CM and Redsky.

What do you use for call accounting? I have a site with callsweet and it has a number screening feature. In the number screening we listed 911 and some other numbers and if anyone dials that number it sends an email out with all the call detail in it. I think the email usually comes out within a few minutes of the call happening.

Great suggestion. I'll have to research that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back