Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

90' run past electrical interference 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRS46

Technical User
Aug 4, 2005
US
Hello,

I have two small offices that are separated by a machine room in between. THe current LAN cable that was installed is UTP (2-3 years old) strung through the wall of a machine room with lots of power and machinery. The run is about 90 - 100 feet. The workstations in the remote office drop off and on the network. No other machines are affected. I swapped the small switch in the remote room and the problem still exists, so I am thinking it's the cabling. I have even put other machines out there with the same results.

I tried a 54G wireless router to laptop test, but the signal was too weak. It looks like I need to protect the cabling or make a new run on an alternate path. I am limited because these two small buildings are attached on oneside to large refrigeration rooms (can't drill poke or otherwise touch that side, and the other side is an open loading dock. I have to run past or through the machine room.

What should I use? conduit? shielded cable? Should I home run all connections or stay with the remote hub concept?

You help is appreciated as always.

Larry S.
Systems & Network Consultant

The obvious choice is 50 nm multimode fiberoptic cable with UTP to fiber converters on each end.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

yep , what jimbo said

you can buy the fiber with the connectors on and tested . add a couple of media converters and your in buisness

would be a good idea to put the fiber in conduit to protect it .

Interesting. I was avoiding that because I thought the expense was going to kill me. I checked into it and it seems reasonable. I've never pulled fiber and I understand that I have limitations for bending etc. How much of a problem will this be?

Larry S.

It should not be too great of a problem as long as you use bends as close to 45 as you can (no 90's) and don't try and pull it too hard.(you should have the route set so it will pull nice and easy)
It will also depend upon the type,if you use a good indoor/outdoor loose tube tight buffer with a good count (let's say 4 strand if you plan on only using two at this time) for any future uses ( or even 6 strand). If you use say one two strand mm indoor then you will need an innerduct to put it into to protect it.

Good Luck

Is it better to try and fail or fail to try?

Well,

It turns out there was an existing conduit between the buildings so we strung a 100' run between them. Added two media converters and it's working beautifully. Thanks. Stars are coming!

Larry S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back