Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9.1 to 11 Server Edition Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BResource

Programmer
Apr 22, 2008
GB
Hi All,

What are the best steps to get from 9.1 to 11?

I have seen some people go to 11.0.2 then up to 11.0.4

I have also seen that you need to go to 10.0 first then up to 11.0.2?

Many thanks!

I just did one of these last month: 9.1.7 to 11.1. There is an official way - upgrade to 11.0.4.4 then to 11.1.1. My attempt to go to 11.0.4.4 killed my primary server's hard drive. I had a backup so I came out OK but I highly recommend....

- BACK UP YOUR SERVER - either both a snapshot if virtual and a back up of the IPO programming through web management or just the IPO if a physical server.
* I ended up just using a copy of the config of the SE and an export of the mdb from VMpro (with copies of their WAV folder) and told the customer to re-init their mailboxes​
- If virtual, power down your SE and spin up a new server edition instance at R11.1.1, otherwise wipe and reinstall at 11.1.1
- restore your backup to the new SE
- push out the upgrade to any nodes (this can take a LOOOOONNNGGGG time)
- convert all your licenses to PLDS and/or re-host them to the WebLM server
- once the push to the nodes are done redirect all of them to the WebLM for licenses

I had to reboot D100 base stations at multiple sites to get them back online. I also had to go in and remove the login code and voicemail code complexity rules. If you use reception soft consoles you'll need to upgrade the clients and if they were logging in without a password that is no longer allowed.

Good Luck! [cheers]

- Qz

Thanks for the replys, I am not going to R11.1 for now because I have heard some bad things.

I was saying about going to R11.0

Indeed, I encounter a lot of problems also related to Workplace application.
What did you hear in particular about this release?

Mine works fine with workplace. I wish that they had more documentation on it. Went from 9 to R11.0

They've later added in the release notes Upgrades are supported from the latest service packs of 10.0, 10.1 and 11.0.

From 9.x you should always upgrade SE to 10.x first, it might work to go directly to 11.0 but I've never had issues when going through 10.x first.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Thanks,

This site has 7 IP500 gateways. Usually I upgrade them one after the other.

Can you select all of the gateways and then click upgrade and have them all update at once or does it do them one after the other automatically?

Never tried as I am a wimp lol

You can push the upgrade out to all 500v2 nodes at the same time. When I did my first I did the local node first to make sure things went fine, then pushed out to the other 12 sites. Surprisingly the ones with bad internet connections in smaller centres finished before the two in the major metro areas with solid and fast connections. Go figure.

- Qz

It took a couple hours easy. At one point I was texting my wife and calculated it at 3 minutes per percentage point. I don't think it was that slow the entire time but yeah, 3 or 4 hours to push the upgrade to the sites that took the longest (Scarborough and Hamilton). The local 500v2 took about an hour I'd say.

- Qz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back