Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

id10t

MIS
Feb 16, 2001
US
Is Backup Exec 9.0 slated to take over the NetBack 4.5/ Which is the better choice for a medium environment with SQL, Exchange, File server backups needed?

Thanks

Backup Exec 9 is not slated to take over the NetBackup world. Backup Exec is a mid-level backup solution while NetBackup is an Enterprise Backup solution.

What do you mean as a medium environment? How much data are you going to backup? What is your backup window? What tape and/or library are you going to use? What are your SLA requirements?

If you only have 5 servers and 100gb of data then I would go with Backup Exec. This is only a estimate....

I would put my money on that BackupExec and Netbackup will one day be one product (most of the core comming from NBU)

The rest will just be licenskeys and features they open.

You can see it already. NBU Datacenter and NBU Business server is the same product. NBU can today read BE tapes (but not version 9.0)
Some of the schedule part in NBU 4.5 is taken from BE if I remember right.

Their is not much you can say about BE and NBU that tie them together except that Veritas owns both products and they do backup/restore stuff.

BE is basicly a low end (or mid sized) product from Seagate and NBU is a high end product from Veritas.

We only have 50 or so servers and we use NBU, but I know of sites that have more then 3.500 servers using NBU in one backup complex.

NBU has a lot of features, scales good, supports most hardware and no product supports so many different clients as NBU.

But the price is much higher and for a beginner setting up NBU is a hell.

But after you get it up and running good it's much more easy to handle and a lot more stable then BE.

By the way NBU performs a lot better then BE. A lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back